Day 0 for broody silkie! THEY HATCHED!

I want to post pics but cannot find my camera. My video camera is on the charger now so I will get video and pics tomorrow with that. The other hatched out (and EE X cochin) and she has puffy cheeks. SO DARLING! They are both black with feathered legs. I hope they are both girls so I can keep them. Watch for pics tomorrow afternoon
big_smile.png

The silkie is doing a GREAT job...chicks were eating when I went in to check on them after I got home from the gym. I'm going to have her sit on more later as I just found out I got a male splash silkie!!!! (He crowed today for the first time) Now she can sit on her own kind
big_smile.png

Yay, new babies! I'm glad they hatched ok. They usually do, and most hens are good moms.

That eating-the-chicks thing, is so bizarre, I've never had a hen do that. I wonder if it's because she's a breed that's had most of the brooding/mothering instincts bred out of them. Even with those, when they do brood, it's very rare a hen will eat her chicks. I wonder if she could've been short on protein? I've read that can cause other animals, (like rabbits) to eat the babies. I don't know about chickens, because mine have never done that.

Looking forward to pics!

Back
Top Bottom