1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 11 how do I decide which ones stay and who to toss

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beverlyl, Oct 13, 2009.

1. beverlyl

beverlyl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    Morristown Arizona
    I candled and could defanitaly(sp?) see veins in some and others I could not see through at all. I don't want any to explode and make a mess, so I need help in determining if they stay or go? I also noticed that I have 2 eggs thay have a few cracks like they were dropped when laid(don't know how they made it in the incubator without me noticing) and I know for sure that one of them has veins and movement so do I toss it or try my luck? Thanks

2. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I'm new to this, so hopefully someone else with more experience will come along.

For the cracked eggs, 10 days is a long time for bacteria to set in. Could result in a big mess to clean up. However, I have a 7 day old pigeon squab whose egg got stepped on and cracked about 3 days before it was supposed to hatch. It seems to be doing great.

3. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I am far from an expert but the only ones I tossed this batch were clearly duds. The light went right through and all I could see was the yolk and the air sack. I did pick up an 89 Lumes head lamp from WM so that I could get a better look because these are brown eggs. It is awesome!!! With my 1st batch of light cream colored silkie eggs and a not so good light I could tell that the clear ones were clear and I could also see a blood ring in other ones. I opened them all and I was right. Here is a site that helped me:

http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/Week2-3/Day08.html

Good luck [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm on Day 11 also. Same thing for me, some I can see clearly, and some I can't. I've got some welsummer eggs in there too, and they are really difficult to see into. I just ordered a brighter light in hopes it will help me see better.

This is my first hatch, so I am just leaving them in there. I'm assuming that they are doing fine and I'll keep checking the unknown ones every few days. I don't want to take the chance of taking out a developing chick.

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    What type of eggs are the ones you can't see through?
    It is well worth getting a good candler. Some of the eggs are really dark.
    Before you toss them you may want to pick the one you think has nothing in it and then open it up. It will give you a good idea if you made the right choice.
    Then if you are right, try another until you have opened and checked all the ones you don't think are good.
    It is a good way to learn and become more confident in what you are seeing.

6. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Don't toss OR open them if you aren't sure. They rarely explode so don't worry about it that much.. Get a really cheap small L.E.D. flashlight at a drugstore and light those babies up!!

7. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
  8. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    So, do you hold the egg up to your forehead????? J/king. I just looked at the picture and got all kinds of funny images of you trying to candle an egg held up to your forehead.

Laney

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If your not sure and new to candling do not toss unless you have a smelly or cracked/weeping egg. Put a ? mark on the egg in pencil and candle again at day 10 or 14 by then you will know if they are developing.

10. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Yes, and I use a mirror to look [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by