Day 12 Duck Egg Deaths

MerryFeather

Songster
May 10, 2021
I am hatching duck eggs for the first time. I have a new Nurture Right 360 incubator with 2 extra thermometers inside. The 4 eggs were doing well and were alive and moving on day 10. Then I started the cooling and spraying as suggested. On day 12 one egg was dead. The veins were gone and the embryo not moving. Today 2 more were dead. The only thing I changed was the spraying and cooling. I am hoping to try hatching again. But since I have no idea what went wrong I don't know what to do. What should I make sure of for next time? What did I do wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_2753.JPG
    IMG_2753.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 54
I am hatching duck eggs for the first time. I have a new Nurture Right 360 incubator with 2 extra thermometers inside. The 4 eggs were doing well and were alive and moving on day 10. Then I started the cooling and spraying as suggested. On day 12 one egg was dead. The veins were gone and the embryo not moving. Today 2 more were dead. The only thing I changed was the spraying and cooling. I am hoping to try hatching again. But since I have no idea what went wrong I don't know what to do. What should I make sure of for next time? What did I do wrong?
How long are you cooling them for?

Is cooling and misting necessary? Mine are on day 11 but I had no intention of doing things any different then when I hatch other fowl.

I’m following to see what others have to say.

Sorry about your lost eggs:/

Is cooling and misting necessary? Mine are on day 11 but I had no intention of doing things any different then when I hatch other fowl.

I’m following to see what others have to say.

Sorry about your lost eggs:/
I sprayed my duck eggs occassionally, but never cooled, and they were good! They grew healthy.
The cooling is done to simulate the mother leaving the nest, but they aren't removed from the nest, they're still a little insulated- the mama's goal isnt to make the eggs cold, it's to go and take care of herself quickly. Cooling the eggs is risky, they could be knocked, or forgotten about....
It isn't necessary, and trying to mimic nature is risky- we can't do it as well as a mama duck can. In my opinion it's best to stick to what we know is safe.

How long are you cooling them for?
I only cooled them for 10 to 15 minutes. When I was researching incubating duck eggs the cooling/spraying was recommended as a way to increase hatching rates by several good sources including Storey's. I don't know if it was what caused the deaths but I think I will skip it next time.

I only cooled them for 10 to 15 minutes. When I was researching incubating duck eggs the cooling/spraying was recommended as a way to increase hatching rates by several good sources including Storey's. I don't know if it was what caused the deaths but I think I will skip it next time.
I don't know either, but I would agree with skipping it next time- you may find greater success without it.
Are you certain of the temp, humidity? Did you use a calibrated thermometer? How often were they turned?
Were the eggs shipped, your own?
Whatever the cause, I hope you have better luck next time!

I don't know either, but I would agree with skipping it next time- you may find greater success without it.
Are you certain of the temp, humidity? Did you use a calibrated thermometer? How often were they turned?
Were the eggs shipped, your own?
Whatever the cause, I hope you have better luck next time!
I am using a Nuture Right 360 that has an automatic turner. I don't know how often it turns but the eggs were turning. I have 2 extra hygrometers/thermometers inside the incubator as well. They were pretty consistent with the temperature and humidity. The highest recorded temp was 100. So I don't think they overheated.
The eggs were our own flock from at least 3 different ducks.
Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom