Day 13 VERY BAD AIR CELLS, Opinions please.

Ariel188

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2012
Southern CA
UPDATE on Day 13:

I am VERY sad. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY shipped SFH have very BAD air cells. I DO see LOTS of movement from the SFH. I don't know if they can make it with the horrible air cells I saw. I will post each eggs photo and would love opinions, thank you.

The other thing is my local eggs seem to have fertility issue since I stated with 14 local Brahma eggs and I am down to 8, the other 6 never did develop at all. So shipped eggs seem to have 100% fertility but the post office must have thrown my box up and down flights of stairs several times a day just to be A holes, and the local eggs have bad fertility, so sad. I am left with 22 out of 33 I started with (2 I am not sure about.) I took 6 eggs out today. 2 SFH for early deaths and 4 Brahma that never were fertile, photos of those posted as well. I did get an AWESOME video of one of the VERY lively SFH Ill post the link to.

PS I did sneak in a few photos of the Brahma eggs and you can see the difference in the air cell, they look normal.

Here is the video link SFH shipped egg day 13:

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't have an idea of what's going on here, I'm just subscribing so I can learn too. I use a handheld torch to 'candle' and what I see using that method is nothing like what you're looking at there. Totally different. Best wishes with your eggs though.

Sorry, I don't have an idea of what's going on here, I'm just subscribing so I can learn too. I use a handheld torch to 'candle' and what I see using that method is nothing like what you're looking at there. Totally different. Best wishes with your eggs though.
Thank you for responding.

In terms of the saddle cells, chicks do hatch ok from them. It looks like the first ones posted have big air cells for day 14. What has your humidity been at? You might do a thread search on hatching shipped eggs, or on hatching eggs with saddle cells. Sally Sunshine has a wonderful series of articles on general hatching and hatching problems. I think it's called Hatching 101.

In terms of the saddle cells, chicks do hatch ok from them. It looks like the first ones posted have big air cells for day 14. What has your humidity been at? You might do a thread search on hatching shipped eggs, or on hatching eggs with saddle cells. Sally Sunshine has a wonderful series of articles on general hatching and hatching problems. I think it's called Hatching 101. Good luck with your hatch.

In terms of the saddle cells, chicks do hatch ok from them. It looks like the first ones posted have big air cells for day 14. What has your humidity been at? You might do a thread search on hatching shipped eggs, or on hatching eggs with saddle cells. Sally Sunshine has a wonderful series of articles on general hatching and hatching problems. I think it's called Hatching 101. Good luck with your hatch.
Thanks for the post!

I did read her stuff. I followed her advice to keep them upright 24 hrs before beginning the incubation but they never corrected.

Yeah people keep asking me about the humidity. It was at 41% to 43% the whole time and I have a Brinsea Advanced 20 that I just bought, this is the first hatch it is, but I would assume an incubator worth almost $400 would have accurate digital display. The humidity has been reading very stable 41-43, but since I took 6 eggs out, it is not about 45-46%.

Last edited:
I can't speak to the humidity in relation to the accuracy of the hygrometer, but those eggs have been kicking off a bit of moisture. There's nothing you can do to correct the saddle cells, but a lot of eggs hatch even though they pip at the wrong end, where there is not even a cell at all, so IMO, you have a pretty good chance with them if they've made it this far. Of course you must realize that my opinion is not worth much, because I've never hatched a shipped egg... just done a lot of reading.

Back
Top Bottom