Day 14 - 95 F for majority of time, still viable

ulifarm

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2021
I've never incubated chicken eggs, and somewhere between day 1 and day 14 I confused myself (use to incubating emu eggs) and haven't noticed the temp is at 95 degrees. Candled today and all are still moving and alive. Should I adjust temp gradually or keep where it's at?

I've never incubated chicken eggs, and somewhere between day 1 and day 14 I confused myself (use to incubating emu eggs) and haven't noticed the temp is at 95 degrees. Candled today and all are still moving and alive. Should I adjust temp gradually or keep where it's at?
How did it go? I’ve just had the same issue. I had 3 thermometers besides my thermostat controller in my homemade incubator and every one of them said something different. Finally, around the 2 week mark, late, I know, I took a Thermoscan (?) thermometer and scanned one of the eggs. It read 98 or 98.5. I’m in lockdown now, day 20 and am wondering if my hatch will turn out.

How did it go? I’ve just had the same issue. I had 3 thermometers besides my thermostat controller in my homemade incubator and every one of them said something different. Finally, around the 2 week mark, late, I know, I took a Thermoscan (?) thermometer and scanned one of the eggs. It read 98 or 98.5. I’m in lockdown now, day 20 and am wondering if my hatch will turn out.
I would not use my experience as a baseline as I was testing out an experiment of hatching grocery store bought eggs so it could’ve been a multitude of reasons for failure!

I have a second round of eggs in that are my own eggs and I know are fertile and the thermometer I was using before was off a bit compared to a new one I got around 2 weeks in so I would say that you’re good! Have you candled recently & have any pics?

2 out of 5 of mine are externally pipped and I even had a power outage on Saturday for a few hours!

I don’t have any pics as I’ve been in lockdown since the 13th, day 19. I saw movement from a couple of eggs on day 21 and there is chirping on day 23.

I had difficulty on day 19 when I added warm/hot water to the incubator before going to bed. Big mistake. The next morning the temp was down around 95 or 97 depending on the thermometer. I changed to a higher wattage bulb, 25W to 40W, and added another heat source, a soldering iron, because it seemed a light bulb alone was not able to keep the heat up.

I’ve had 2 dreams this week of my eggs either hatching or zipping. Here’s to hoping!

I have one chick hatched so far!

I will say, for future reference, when I candled the eggs on the 18th night a few of the eggs were dark almost all the way down to the air cell. However, a few had a small gap of light going up the middle of one side. I figured this was the yolk.

I also want to note that after discovering the low temp around day 12 or 14 I started to fiddle with the thermostat. One time I didn’t set it properly so I had a temp spike of 115 for an hour or two.

I turned my eggs at least 4 or 5 times a day as I have the luxury of being a stay at home mom.

I’m a newb and for all my reading of how to incubate eggs properly I made loads of mistakes. It is a homemade incubator because I wasn’t sure if I’d attempt this more than once, depending on where we’d live in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom