Day 14 - Weeping duck egg?

wannabfarmgirl

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 17, 2009
South Carolina
I'm on day 14 of my second hatch attempt (first didn't result in any fuzzy butts) of ducks.

Yesterday when I turned them, I noticed something "sticky" on my hands, but didn't think much about it. Today, I realized there is a "dot" or two of sticky stuff on the bottom of the bator (I have an LG, first time using it, and mistakely put them on the bottom of the bator vrs the wire mesh thing. I stand them on end, and rotate 3 times a day). I candled them all, and all have movement. Two eggs seem to have a larger air cell than the others, but other than that, I see nothing weird.

Should I take out the two off eggs or wait and see what happens? I'm guessing it's bad if one is leaking - but since there is movement in them all, I don't want to guess.

Advice??

Thanks!

If it's sticky I really don't think it sounds like condensation. If I were you I think it would be safest to identify which eggs are weeping and remove them as soon as you can. Most non developers and quitters won't go bad and won't explode, but an egg which is seeping or weeping is MUCH more likely to be a rotten one.

I'm sure - they are all moving. Problem is - I'm not sure which on it is. I assume it would be the one with the larger air sac, but I'm new to this, and don't really know.

It's sticky, kind of yellowish. Not condensation.
sad.png

Seems to me like more duck and goose eggs go rotten and explode than chicken eggs. Is that because waterfowl tend to lay their eggs in muddy spots and chickens like dry places? Just more chance of bacterial contamination cause the eggs get wet?

I went through them all again this morning while turning, and I can't figure it out
hmm.png
I'll keep looking. There are two that look as if they have the faintest hairline crack in them...but no ooze. I'll look again at the next turning.

Back
Top Bottom