Day 15 on my Quail eggs HELP! (Update I have a PIP!!)

magikchick

~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
SW Florida
My eggs should be hatching soon and now I'm getting nervous. I took some of my chick starter food that is 20% protein and ground up some 30% protein cat food in it. Is this fine to start them on? Also the brooder needs to be about 100 degrees?

I'm fine with chickens but don't want to mess up my first quail.
fl.gif

Last edited:
You'll do fine
hugs.gif
I'm going through the same thing with my first round of ducks!
lau.gif

Usually a game or turkey starter is the recommended food, ground up small. But if you can't get that chick starter ground up with some kitten food would probably be okay. The biggest thing you need to make sure of is that your chick-starter is un-medicated. I start my brooders w/ one area at 95-100* with a cooler area they can migrate too if they get too warm.

What kind of quail? If they're coturnix, they'll probably start popping on day 17 and keep going for a few days.

Good luck!
fl.gif
&
hugs.gif

Yes they are coturnix. I got the eggs in the January egg swap. I"m working on a pen for them now.

I don't feed medicated foods so that's not a problem.

Quote:
have you seen any Dumor feeds? If so they have a starter for them that's for chicken chicks, ducks and quail
smile.png
that's what I have to use and I also suppliment to add more protien.

I also third the 17-18 day to expect the hatch
smile.png
sometimes 16 is too early for some
smile.png

On day 17 now and still not a peep out of the eggs. The January eggs swap hasn't produce many good eggs. The cold could have got to them.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom