day 16 - quitter? **PIC ADDED**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by davekrista, May 11, 2011.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I have 9 eggs in the bator on day 16. I can't tell if it is a quitter or moving around. Not sure if what I am seeing is some of the shadows from my "unsteady" hand or if its really moving in there. I will try to get a good pic but its hard to see. If i can get a decent pic, i will post it. Any tips on telling if its a quitter or just lazy? I see a black circle and the whole thing looks very different from the other 8 eggs. The egg itself is a little bigger then the rest, so i'm not sure if that is why.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETA: pics.... not that great but hard to get a good one.... maybe someone can tell me if its quitter or not

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    A bit hard to see if there is actually still some veins in that egg from the photos- but it would be easier for you to see- I can make out what looks like veins- but I really cant be sure.

If there is still veins showing in the clearer areas it is still alive. Once the duckling dies the veins are not seen in the same spider web type network as in a good egg.

3. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:some spots looks like some veins are still there but no where near like the others. I will check in a day or so to see.... I just don't want it to explode if its not still alive. I have not had that happen but have read about it happening and it doesn't sound good, so i don't want to leave it in there to long if not still alive.

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    The presence of quite a large area of clear yellow fluid leads me to suspect that the embryo has died. If the darker mass rolls about with your hand movement then thats further evidence of embryonic death. As said earlier its hard to see from the pics and you will have a much better view. At day 16 the egg should have blood vessels throughout, some which should be quite large.

Best way is take a picture of your viable eggs from the same angle then compare between the two.

Pete [​IMG]

5. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:Thanks. I think it is a quitter, because it doesn't have all the veins as the others do and does seem to "roll around" when i turn the egg slowly. I just wanted to be sure. I didn't want to just "throw it out" if it was just slower developing then the rest....

6. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    Looks like there still alive. I think I looks like it's still moving and alive but I really can't see if I could see the veins but I do believe it's still alive. Yay! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by