Day 17; Power Outage, eggs got cold :(

I love the hand warmer idea! Great for when you are at home and see a power outage. I'll definitely pick some up for my chicken kit.

It wasn't as simple in my particular case unfortunately. I was away at work. You wouldn't want to put warmers in unless you actually saw the power go out right?

And yay, Olivia!

My chick eggs just went in lockdown last night. Most of the air cells looked a little smaller to me than I think they should be so I'm going to wait a day and then fill up the wells on Monday (they are due Tuesday). Hopefully that will give them some time for the air cells to grow. Then I guess I will see what happens! I have 17 eggs.

Last edited:
I'm learning patience is definitely key as the other eggs haven't pipped yet & the one that did hasn't done anymore than what I found last night. I did at least get to hear it chirp which was pretty cool lol. Still waiting. Hopefully you will see your eggs wiggle soon! Good luck!

It is the end of day 19 so I quickly opened the incubator and filled the water columns. I watched the incubator for a little bit and I saw 5 of the 17 eggs wiggling in all very different areas of the incubator. My hope is that if they are alive then the rest are alive as well. I had my olive egger wiggle, a Rhode island red, two barred rocks and a mixed egg. Hoping at least one of my maran eggs will get some movement. But all in all very pleased that the power outage clearly didn't kill them all. :)

Seeing the wigglers is very exciting!

Last edited:
Okay So I may have added the water just in time! After I added the water I had all the wiggling start and I just had one of the mixed eggs pip but in the wrong end. I'm going to make a separate thread on it as I'm worried about it drowning; I heard a peep as it pipped but I don't see the beak exposed and I don't hear anything now. I don't want it to drown :(

Glad to hear you saw wigglers! I was amazed when I saw mine do it for the first time lol. I came home to find the pipped egg was now a fuzzy little red chick sitting in the incubator! I was a little mad I missed it hatch but glad it was okay! Also, my other two eggs pipped as well so now I am waiting on them. Luckily all of mine pipped at the large end. Hope yours is okay!
Here is a pic of baby chick:

So in case anyone else has this issue and wants to know how it turned/ is turning out, the baby with the pip in the pointy end is still trying to work its way out. Two more have pipped and at least 5 others are wiggling.

There is a lot of peeping coming from the incubator so it looks like we are okay! Today is day 20 so the power outage apparently didn't even slow anything down. It looks like I'll definitely have my first baby tonight or tomorrow.

The baby at the wrong end needs to be watched and monitored. We had a duckling and a chick both hatch this way. With the assistance of us helping them out. Keeping in mind blood vessels and yoke. They are both healthy. :) Congrats on the babies. Hatching is a wonderful experience.

Back
Top Bottom