Day 18 and air cells are small

Ya, they are small for being at 18 days and in my opinion they don't look like the development of 18 days.
Here is the air cell guide I go by:

And if you look at this page you will get an idea of what you should see development wise: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

To me, (and I could very well be wrong) but it looks more like both the air cell and chick development are more 12/14 day in progress. Are you relying on just one thermometer and has it ever been checked for accuracy? Also Are you counting the day you set the eggs as day 1 or are you waiting 24 hours to begin your count at day 1?

I thought that too but then I thought well maybe it's like that because the chick has more room than usual than if the air cell was taking up a lot of the room in the shell, if you know what I mean, my dates are 100% accurate from the date and times, I have two thermometers and both read the same or sometimes the odd .1 out. I'm just going to leave dry like you said and keep a look out for one pipping and then adding humidity, just I've seen a difference in the last few hours just from not having water in so I'm wondering if high humidity has slowed down their development or it's simply just the fact the air cell is blocking off their space. I will take a look at that thank you

Last edited:
I thought that too but then I thought well maybe it's like that because the chick has more room than usual than if the air cell was taking up a lot of the room in the shell, if you know what I mean, my dates are 100% accurate from the date and times, I have two thermometers and both read the same or sometimes the odd .1 out. I'm just going to leave dry like you said and keep a look out for one pipping and then adding humidity, just I've seen a difference in the last few hours just from not having water in so I'm wondering if high humidity has slowed down their development or it's simply just the fact the air cell is blocking off their space. I will take a look at that thank you
Keep us updated. I'm curious as to how it will all play out.
smile.png

I will do, candled today and chicks are still very active, clear veins. Air cell got a tad bigger and think I might add water on day 20 rather than 19 and see if they hatch, again I'll just look out for one pipping. Can't see that leaving it dry will hurt them knowing they have more than enough moisture until pip

CoCo The eggs you show pics of candled for sure are not right for 18 day old eggs. I agree they look alot younger. I feel you got egg problems or your temp is low. If "I" candled those eggs on day 18---they would be taken out---not put into lockdown. Good Luck!

I'm not on lockdown yet, I have a broody hen that has 7 eggs under her think they're in day 16, could I put these 4 under her then take them when they hatch and leave her 7?

Coco, those eggs look like they're developmentally delayed. If I were you, this is what I'd do. I'd get a digital fever thermometer, and then, I'd insert it through one of your vent holes. I've made one of my vent holes bigger so I can lower the thermometer all the way to egg level, then draw it back up and out with a piece of dental floss so I can check when I need to without opening the bator. Check it against the thermometer you've been using. I bet you're off by a couple of degrees. You could then, very carefully tweak the temp up just a hair, and not add any water until you see that the air cells are the right size, or until by candling, you see that the chicks have taken up all of the space in the eggs that are NOT air cell. At this point, I think you'd be safe to just leave them alone, without water, and candle daily. If they're still moving, there's still hope. In your situation, I wouldn't add water until the chicks have filled the available space, or until you see rocking, hear chirping, or see a hair line pip. I have a home made styrofoam bator, and have lots of ventilation holes in it. I never plug them. It's super easy to make a vent hole, or enlarge one. Amazing what a sharp pencil will do!

Coco, those eggs look like they're developmentally delayed. If I were you, this is what I'd do. I'd get a digital fever thermometer, and then, I'd insert it through one of your vent holes. I've made one of my vent holes bigger so I can lower the thermometer all the way to egg level, then draw it back up and out with a piece of dental floss so I can check when I need to without opening the bator. Check it against the thermometer you've been using. I bet you're off by a couple of degrees. You could then, very carefully tweak the temp up just a hair, and not add any water until you see that the air cells are the right size, or until by candling, you see that the chicks have taken up all of the space in the eggs that are NOT air cell. At this point, I think you'd be safe to just leave them alone, without water, and candle daily. If they're still moving, there's still hope. In your situation, I wouldn't add water until the chicks have filled the available space, or until you see rocking, hear chirping, or see a hair line pip. I have a home made styrofoam bator, and have lots of ventilation holes in it. I never plug them. It's super easy to make a vent hole, or enlarge one. Amazing what a sharp pencil will do!
x2 I would never throw out a living developing egg. And I don't forsee them hatching on time, so you probably have a couple extra days before you would need to go into the lockdown phase. If you are able to monitor your eggs regularly during the day, I would keep it dry until I saw egg movement or pipping (or your air cells are adequate) and then up it. With them being as delayed as they look to me the chances aren't great that they will hatch, but you still have a chance at getting a couple. My first hatch attempt my thermometer was way off with out me knowing and I had that same problem. Thankfully I didn't throw my eggs out as I ended up with my first chick ever and a wonderful sweet addition to our family (hatched day 24). So I'm still pulling for you! Hope we can see at least a couple if not more pop out of there!

Last edited:
They're still active and will add more pictures over the next few hours, I've not added water and will do as you say, I'm going to keep hopes up and will keep you all updated, I'm not in during the day if orthnatly but I know my temp students accurate, I have one that stays in all the time and one I double check with and will show pics later
Thank you

They're still active and will add more pictures over the next few hours, I've not added water and will do as you say, I'm going to keep hopes up and will keep you all updated, I'm not in during the day if orthnatly but I know my temp students accurate, I have one that stays in all the time and one I double check with and will show pics later
Thank you
Coco, if you are saying you are checking these eggs often by lighting them etc----I would Suggest you leave them alone---let them lay---I personally feel you can Handle them To Much!! Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom