Day 18 - lockdown!

I was just EXACTLY the same! :lau
"No touching - no touching - no touching... :barnie"

I'm leaving it to the mama hens now, much less stressful...

Keep us posted!

Me too. My nervous system is shot
Good to know, the turners have slot ins, and are a perfect fence for football hooligans...lol
oh my word why did I Not think of that, I tried to take them out as quick as possible but they played football. Already after swearing never again planning next time too add to these two girls. I will add this to list of things I've learnt this time!

I've just finished a hatch. Ended up with 3 healthy chicks out of 9 eggs. The no touching is difficult and I had gaps between hatchings. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions. I'll follow your journey.

Congratulations to you on those three healthy chicks. There are so many variables in hatching, it boggles the mind. For your very first time, you did a great job!

Congratulations to you on those three healthy chicks. There are so many variables in hatching, it boggles the mind. For your very first time, you did a great job!

I really need to hear that right now. I know of friends who got nothing so I must remember that. I know this doesn't sound what you want to hear but we found a very humane and peaceful way to cull the two that were malformed after late hatching. I feel more prepared for the harsh realities and more confident in my box and the process

No worries there, it's only day 20, and saying that chicks hatch at day 21 is a general rule, not always an absolute truth.
Plus, some breeds are supposed to be earlier or later than others, but here I had the Marans (who often hatch at day 23) crack the egg and zoom out on day 18, and the bantam cochins who are supposed to be early birds hatch on days 21-22.

What breeds do you have?

One of the hens, I think is some kind of Light Sussex cross, she is a bit on the small side, and the other is true to type Light Sussex. The rooster is Light Sussex, but I got him cheap because he has a bit of yellowing around the neck feathers, but I think he looks very stylish and handsome.

P1000094.jpg

Back
Top Bottom