Day 18.....Lockdown

HELP, day 19, just had chick pip at small end... literally just now... if I open I could hurt others...???
barnie.gif

What do I do??
Can it pip out???
It looks as if it made it through the shell... I'll go take a picture

as long as it is breathing leave it alone- but do not help it out- it may take the chick a couple of days- but most chicks don't pip the bottom, they pip the inner membrane first, then breathe the inside air and peep a day before breaking an outer pip- then when the outer pip is piped they are still absorbing yolk and getting used to outer air. if you try to help the chick, you see how you could be helping 2 days 2 soon.

Last edited:
Yes, I understand and have not and will not help it! I have worked so hard making this the best hatch and everything perfect... I'm disappointed but know I could not have prevented it! I have three thermometers and two hygrometers and have been very good! I want to see at least 1/2 of my chicks hatch! I had 12, one had double air cell, one died after day 14 and I had 10... now I guess it is 9!
If I get nine silkies and sizzles, I will be thankful.
I have to work tomorrow or I would stay at home to watch! I planned for a Saturday hatch!!
he.gif
How can something so fun and rewarding be so stressful!
th.gif

is a double air cell an egg with a saddle shape or clear tip? clear tip is not air it is undigested fluid.

I have never heard of a clear tip... I don't know the difference... all I know is I have it with the big end up with a pretty good size air cell with movement on day 18... I did not increase humidity until day 19...
when I noticed it, it had two tiny air cells the size of dimes on each end... on day 18 it had a nice air cell on the big end and a tiny spot on the small end but whether it is just a clear tip... I have no clue!

clear tip is not air it is fluid. on day 18 candle it is best to check the pointed ends and make sure it is not clear because there is too much fluid if it is and you would not lock down, but I did hatch a couple of eggs like this it just takes longer- and I didn't add water until the external pip in that case.

Last edited:
day 19 for me. 2 starting to enter aircell. air cell is getting fuzzy shadow on heavy side of dip, flexing up and down.. 2 are shrinking down. slightly bigger eggs may take longer. all veins visible.

Last edited:
I have 5 turkey eggs left in my incubator. It has been such a challenge incubating these eggs after the Mom abandoned her nest. The eggs were all at different states of development. 2 hatched successfully......they are almost 3 weeks old now. One developed to the point of pipping internally and then quit. I hear peeping in another egg now. Praying this one makes it. 4 eggs remain after this one.

5 days from lockdown!!!!!!!! Can't wait.I have 2 Sebright eggs in the gator right now both developed!!Im done adding water untill
Right before lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom