Day 18.....Lockdown

Turkey pipping!

HELP, day 19, just had chick pip at small end... literally just now... if I open I could hurt others...???
barnie.gif

What do I do??
Can it pip out???
It looks as if it made it through the shell... I'll go take a picture

Well, this has been an eventful hatch but not necessarily a good one. I will not hatch again until I get a new incubator!
I did decide to help the chick that had pipped on the wrong end... I followed all of the instructions for doing so and it went perfectly! A second pipped wrong end also... the red silkie that I wanted so badly. I know I was taking a risk but I have had such bad hatches in the past I thought I couldn't let them go without trying!
Here they are!
big_smile.png

This picture is of the red silkie as you can see I left the end of the shell until it broke free from it itself.

Here it is after a long day of fighting! Its legs are a little too wide!
Here's the splash which is in perfect shape. This was the second one that pipped on wrong end.

I woke up at 3:00 AM and couldn't sleep worrying about the eggs. Shrink wrapping has been a problem in the past. I had the humidity perfect this time but had a bad feeling. One had pipped but was making no progress and no movement. I had candled one and it was dead. I opened it up and it was shrink wrapped. So, I began the long hours of helping.
So far, I have three little sizzles that were shrink wrapped and I opened them up so they could breath. Wrapped them in wet paper towels and waited and waited and waited. Thanks to the information I find on this site, I was able to end up with 5 chicks! Helping chicks is not the best way I know but I've lost so many to shrink wrap that I figured I had nothing to loose.
I will NOT use this incubator again! The temperatures are all over the place. One spot reads 94 and another 100! I have no fan so I will in the next incubator!

Here's one of the sizzles that I helped get out that was stuck in a tight dry membrane (shrink wrapped). I have two more just like it! I am relieved and thankful!

Last edited:
I am on day 20 and I have a really big egg that pipped the inner membrane- but the air cell inside was small and I was afraid i would run out of air before it made a pip- so I gave it a little pip in the air cell so it would not run out- now it is really pecking away at the shell with alot of energy. I don't plan on helping. but it has another day till 21 so we will see.

Well, this has been an eventful hatch but not necessarily a good one. I will not hatch again until I get a new incubator!
I did decide to help the chick that had pipped on the wrong end... I followed all of the instructions for doing so and it went perfectly! A second pipped wrong end also... the red silkie that I wanted so badly. I know I was taking a risk but I have had such bad hatches in the past I thought I couldn't let them go without trying!
Here they are!
big_smile.png

This picture is of the red silkie as you can see I left the end of the shell until it broke free from it itself.

Here it is after a long day of fighting! Its legs are a little too wide!
Here's the splash which is in perfect shape. This was the second one that pipped on wrong end.

I woke up at 3:00 AM and couldn't sleep worrying about the eggs. Shrink wrapping has been a problem in the past. I had the humidity perfect this time but had a bad feeling. One had pipped but was making no progress and no movement. I had candled one and it was dead. I opened it up and it was shrink wrapped. So, I began the long hours of helping.
So far, I have three little sizzles that were shrink wrapped and I opened them up so they could breath. Wrapped them in wet paper towels and waited and waited and waited. Thanks to the information I find on this site, I was able to end up with 5 chicks! Helping chicks is not the best way I know but I've lost so many to shrink wrap that I figured I had nothing to loose.
I will NOT use this incubator again! The temperatures are all over the place. One spot reads 94 and another 100! I have no fan so I will in the next incubator!

Here's one of the sizzles that I helped get out that was stuck in a tight dry membrane (shrink wrapped). I have two more just like it! I am relieved and thankful!

good job helping, sounds like you waited until the perfect moment to intervene. I also believe in helping, especially with shipped & artificially incubated eggs, since they have already had so much intervention on my part, I think helping when you know some are dying/shrinkwrapping is the right move.
hugs.gif

what incubator is this that has the extreme hot/cold spots?

cute turkey baby!!! cn grats

my friend gave me some chicks to keep my grey chick company. 2 delawares, boy and girl, 2 black copper marans boy and girl, 1white maran girl, 1girl isbar, and one peach colored silky sex unknown. the gray one I hatched and is one week older. they think he is neat.

cute turkey baby!!! cn grats

my friend gave me some chicks to keep my grey chick company. 2 delawares, boy and girl, 2 black copper marans boy and girl, 1white maran girl, 1girl isbar, and one peach colored silky sex unknown. the gray one I hatched and is one week older. they think he is neat.

So cute :)

Back
Top Bottom