Day 18 questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Jun 25, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have been hand turning my eggs for this hatch and was wondering two things before I lock her down for hatching tonight.

1. Can I move my bator to the garage? Even though it's detached the temp stays pretty stable in there. My bator has had really stable temps for the entire incubation - except when it got unplugged...

2. Since I was hand turning - can I put the eggs in carton for the hatch - or should I leave them on their sides?

My husband is on a "oder" kick since he got back last week and I don't want him to be bothered by the "hatching oder"

This is what happens when he goes away to military school for 4 months and has a maid come clean his quarters every other day.

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I had the same question on the egg carton. I was told by several that it's okay to take them from their sides and put them into an egg carton to hatch. Remember to cut slits in the bottoms of the cups.

I have also heard of some that take t-paper or paper towel tubes and cut rings from them and put their eggs in those. With the rings being larger you can put them on their sides too.

The garage temp maybe stable but is it the same as the house? Your temps in the bator are adjusted to the enviroment the bator is in. I don't know where you have the bator but, if it is in a main living area maybe you could move it to a spare bedroom? That would be less of an enviroment change.

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Good point! So I checked using the same themometer that has sat by my incubator this whole time.

House is 77.2 degrees - garage is 77.5

I wish I had a spare anything...

I might try to bring it down in the basement area but am limited on outlets.

I have several more hours to ponder this (actually have been pondering this for days)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by