Day 18 - Temperature Drop

tnkinhunting

Songster
11 Years
Feb 7, 2008
East Tennessee
Help - I took my eggs out of the turner this am - consistant 99.5 temp - I come back home with cartons and open bator to put in cartons and notice eggs are not as warm as they should be - check temp. it's at 80 - I adjust it back to 99.5.....I don't know what happened - I may have not had lid securely - it's a Little Giant bator - not forced air......what have I done?.......Anyone else have this kind of problem with power outage, etc.?
hit.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
honestly i think you will be fine. a moma gets off her eggs every so often too so i dont see why this would cause a problem. worse would be they were too hot then you have a problem casue they are cooked. i say dont worry!

I was gone probably 6 hours - it is keeping a constant temp now so it had to be that the lid did not close properly. I am worried because it is so late in the hatch - I said day 21 - gosh, I mean day 18 of incubation. They have three more days to go......if I didn't kill them!
hit.gif

hit.gif
hit.gif

I highly doubt you killed them. Last summer I had a bator running for about 12 days, and then somehow the power went out and didn't come back for 4 hours! I still had chicks out of that hatch.

I sure hope not - these eggs were ordered and I did everything by the book. Well, it's wait and see now. Maybe it will just take a little longer to hatch?
he.gif

By day 18 the chicks are starting to generate their own body heat so should be fine. You may have a bit of a delayed hatch but I would highly doubt you would have any losses from the drop. Too high of a temp spike is far more dangerous.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom