1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Day 18 - Temperature Drop

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tnkinhunting, Mar 21, 2008.

1. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Songster

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Help - I took my eggs out of the turner this am - consistant 99.5 temp - I come back home with cartons and open bator to put in cartons and notice eggs are not as warm as they should be - check temp. it's at 80 - I adjust it back to 99.5.....I don't know what happened - I may have not had lid securely - it's a Little Giant bator - not forced air......what have I done?.......Anyone else have this kind of problem with power outage, etc.? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  2. orlandoluv1

orlandoluv1 Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    how long where you gone?

3. orlandoluv1

orlandoluv1 Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    honestly i think you will be fine. a moma gets off her eggs every so often too so i dont see why this would cause a problem. worse would be they were too hot then you have a problem casue they are cooked. i say dont worry!

4. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Songster

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I was gone probably 6 hours - it is keeping a constant temp now so it had to be that the lid did not close properly. I am worried because it is so late in the hatch - I said day 21 - gosh, I mean day 18 of incubation. They have three more days to go......if I didn't kill them! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Songster

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I highly doubt you killed them. Last summer I had a bator running for about 12 days, and then somehow the power went out and didn't come back for 4 hours! I still had chicks out of that hatch.

6. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Songster

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I sure hope not - these eggs were ordered and I did everything by the book. Well, it's wait and see now. Maybe it will just take a little longer to hatch? [​IMG]

7. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Songster

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    By day 18 the chicks are starting to generate their own body heat so should be fine. You may have a bit of a delayed hatch but I would highly doubt you would have any losses from the drop. Too high of a temp spike is far more dangerous.

Richard

8. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Songster

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    OK, it's day 21 - not a peep - nor pip!!!!!! No sounds! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    OK, it's day 21 - not a peep - nor pip!!!!!! No sounds! hit hit

Patience, is a virtue [​IMG]

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    tnkin, ya got any fingernails left, or have you chewed them down already?

I'd be a wreck, too!
    What are you hatching?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: