Day 18 with project Lav Orpingtons.... **A PIP!!!*

Cara

Songster
12 Years
Aug 30, 2007
NM
Yesterday my Octagon decided to lose its mind. In the morning, it read 98.9F, so I increased the temperature. It was at 99.3F all day. I opened it to top up the water last night, and it decided it needed to heat itself up to 103.9F. I adjusted it back down after it held steady, to 99.2F. Right before I was off to bed, I checked it again. 102.8F!!! I couldn't go to bed not knowing whether it would calm down, so had to install the new part I received for my R-COM, heated it up and put them in there.

I candled this afternoon, and......

17 out of 18 are alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One developed a little but stopped. If only 50% of them hatch i'll be over the moon! I told my husband that i wouldn't know what to do with them all if they all hatched, and his response was a first!! "Well, we've got to keep them all!!" He doesn't even like chickens, or so I thought. There's just one problem though. Just as I can't eat a Blue Orpington, I can't possibly eat a Lavender Orpington egg!!!! They're sacred!

Last edited:
fl.gif

Cara, Here is hoping for all to hatch!!! Your going to love them!!!! No lavender egg here will ever be eaten!! LOL

Oh Cara, you had me worried. Thank goodness they are ok. Good luck with your hatch! I'm so excited for you.
jumpy.gif

I know the feeling about eating them. I felt that way for a while, but now with so many eggs rolling I have to eat some. Had lavender eggs over easy today with scrapple. Yum!

I had me worried too! All I can think is that I nudged the little dial when I took the top off, but it was in the same position that I had set it at previously. 1/4 turn increases the temperature 2 degrees, so I was very conscious of where it was set.

I thought perhaps it heated up a bunch to compensate for the heat lost when I opened the incubator, but it stayed that way for quite some time and I didn't want to risk losing them.

Yes, I have some nice blacks to breed them back to and maybe some other projects further down the line.

The eggs are wiggling and cheeping at me! The first eggs I hatched came from Jody too, and I wasn't ready for the cheeping. It scared the living daylights out of me!

Back
Top Bottom