1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 18 with project Lav Orpingtons.... **A PIP!!!*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cara, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Yesterday my Octagon decided to lose its mind. In the morning, it read 98.9F, so I increased the temperature. It was at 99.3F all day. I opened it to top up the water last night, and it decided it needed to heat itself up to 103.9F. I adjusted it back down after it held steady, to 99.2F. Right before I was off to bed, I checked it again. 102.8F!!! I couldn't go to bed not knowing whether it would calm down, so had to install the new part I received for my R-COM, heated it up and put them in there.

I candled this afternoon, and......

17 out of 18 are alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One developed a little but stopped. If only 50% of them hatch i'll be over the moon! I told my husband that i wouldn't know what to do with them all if they all hatched, and his response was a first!! "Well, we've got to keep them all!!" He doesn't even like chickens, or so I thought. There's just one problem though. Just as I can't eat a Blue Orpington, I can't possibly eat a Lavender Orpington egg!!!! They're sacred!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

[​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Cara, Here is hoping for all to hatch!!! Your going to love them!!!! No lavender egg here will ever be eaten!! LOL

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I am soooo glad to hear that others have an issue eating eggs from some of their special birds......I thought I was the only one!! Somehow it just feels wrong!!

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Oh Cara, you had me worried. Thank goodness they are ok. Good luck with your hatch! I'm so excited for you. [​IMG]

I know the feeling about eating them. I felt that way for a while, but now with so many eggs rolling I have to eat some. Had lavender eggs over easy today with scrapple. Yum!

6. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Cara,

I have read several times that the eggs heat up during the last few days before hatch and it's not unusual to have a temperature spike.

Glad your candling went well.

[​IMG]

7. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

They do heat up a bit during incubation, but you wouldn't notice it in a circulating incubator as the fan and thermostat will compensate when required..

Charlie

8. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I had me worried too! All I can think is that I nudged the little dial when I took the top off, but it was in the same position that I had set it at previously. 1/4 turn increases the temperature 2 degrees, so I was very conscious of where it was set.

I thought perhaps it heated up a bunch to compensate for the heat lost when I opened the incubator, but it stayed that way for quite some time and I didn't want to risk losing them.

9. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Stinking thermometers. [​IMG] You'd think in this day and age they'd be more reliable. [​IMG]

How exciting that you are getting into the lavs... Are you going to do a breeding project??

10. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Yes, I have some nice blacks to breed them back to and maybe some other projects further down the line.

The eggs are wiggling and cheeping at me! The first eggs I hatched came from Jody too, and I wasn't ready for the cheeping. It scared the living daylights out of me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by