Day #19 and I thing this is going to be a bust! UPDATE..I HAVE PIPPING

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SandyC, Jun 22, 2008.

1. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

Things have gone wrong from day one. An incubator that fluctuated in temp and hard to manage humidity, two power failures (of course this was the first time in two years we've had one) and an inability to figure out candling well. I just could never get it right. I guess the waiting will be over in a few days. How long do I wait until I figure they won't hatch if nothing happens?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Don't give up hope. [​IMG] There have been people have some hatch as late as day 25...though I don't know if I would ever be brave enough to wait so long. Good luck and keep us posted on how things go for you. There have been lots of successful hatches with issues throughout incubation.

3. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Have you candled the eggs? that can give you a good idea if they are alive or not. hang in there I had a lot of problems with my incubator and I had a staggered hatch. A couple early a couple late.

4. SandyC

I've tried candling and have never been able to master it well. The eggs are brown, they are Barred Rock eggs, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

5. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Yeah, the brown eggs are harder to candle, but it can be done. You just need a really strong flashlight and a dark room. I always candled with the egg on it's side since I didn't have any luck candling from the top (big end). But when I did it with the egg on its side, I could see the embryo. I know what you mean though, I'm on day 21 and I've got nothing. [​IMG] No pips and I had the same probs you had (except for power failure). My temps went crazy the first few days.... Humidity has been alright. But the temps :thun
    Good luck and hang in there!! I think what I will do is wait until this afternoon and if I still don't see anything, I will candle again.

6. SandyC

I've been watching for signs of piping. Nothing yet.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If it's only day 19, pips don't usually happen til late in day 20...so have patience...

8. SandyC

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! After all of the mishaps, I have an egg that has pipped!!!!! We are on day 21! I may have some chicks afterall!!!!!

This is SO EXCITING!!!!!

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    [​IMG] Congrats!!!! Keep us updated!!!!

10. SandyC

TWO MORE have started!!!!! That makes 3!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by