Day 19, coturnix alive in eggs, no pips.

jenangelcat

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
We have coturnix quail eggs in the incubator. Wednesday was supposed to be the hatch day. We heard peeping and saw movement the day before. It's now Friday and nothing. The temps and humidity have been all over the place, just not working right. They've been stable today though.

So yesterday morning my husband decided to start cracking them open to see what was going on. First 4 were duds, no quail in them. So he cracked the next thinking they were all infertile and there was a live bird, fully formed with a big yolk. So we left them. Still today nothing. Should we try to crack them out slowly or should I toss them?

I have another 50 eggs to put in but this was our first go at hatching quail and I'm really upset that it didn't work out. The incubator is only two months old and it worked fine on my last two chicken hatches.

*just checked another egg (put a small hole in it) and the quail is alive. Dh said it wasn't too wet or two dry in there. Day 19 still no pips!

Last edited:
+1 recount your days and count the day you set them as zero...Then put on your mittens and quit openin the eggs!!! You'll get some hatch if there's any left.... Temp could have slowed you down a bit. Sit back and let'em simmer...'Bill

Last edited:
sometimes it takes as long as 22- 23 days before they hatch,after that time THEN you start to break open or toss them. Babies will be born when THEY want to be born....

Thanks for the reply. All the Googling I did said to toss them. But we're going to hold on to them for a couple more days. There's lot still left.

like fat daddy says, you count the day you put them in the bator as day 0 . Just b/c they are supposed to hatch on day 18 it doesn't mean they will. it depends on the accuracy of your temps / humidity in the bator and then whatever else that the good Lord decides to add to that .....Glad yo have more eggs to wait on !
fl.gif

Also,when the time comes, DON'T help chicks out of their eggs. There's usually a good reason why a chick doesn't get out on it's own and they tend to die or have to be culled within a few days .

We had one completely zipped and then it died. None of the rest have even pipped. Temps and humidity have been fine since Friday. I guess it's time to start over again.

aww so sorry ! wonder what the trouble was. How many eggs did you have? Did you open them to see what was going on? Maybe they weren't even fertile...this time of year you never know .....
hu.gif

Quote:
I'm no expert, but sounds like the best advice to to me
smile.png
The day you set them is day zero, and 24 hours later is day one. I think I'm going to put that in my signature line.

I'm sorry for anyone's losses, but hatching coturnix could be a 16-21 day ordeal, with little to no proof of life.

Quote:
I'm no expert, but sounds like the best advice to to me
smile.png
The day you set them is day zero, and 24 hours later is day one. I think I'm going to put that in my signature line.

I'm sorry for anyone's losses, but hatching coturnix could be a 16-21 day ordeal, with little to no proof of life.

I don't understand why people get this wrong.

your born, one year later your a year old

eggs set, one day later that 1 day....

Back
Top Bottom