Day #19 Egg Carton Container or Free To Roll Around???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hen House 60, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Hen House 60

Hen House 60 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    I am on day #19. I have had all the eggs in the carton with the bottoms cut out. Should I just leave them the way they are or should I take them out of the carton? I am not sure if its OK to take them out and let them lay in the incubator on their sides at this point.
    Thanks for the help. I am so excited and I don't want to mess up now. This is my 1st experience.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I hatch mine in the carton. I've had better luck doing it that way.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Me too - good luck!!

4. Hen House 60

Hen House 60 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    OK Thanks, It just does not look like they will have enough room or the energy to climb over the other eggs. I have the cartons full, should I seperate them a little. Like 6 or 8 to the carton instead of all 12?

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Search this Forum for *egg carton*.

The hatch people just watched was 100%, all entirely free to roll around.

6. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I used a paper egg carton and it made cleaning up easier, too.
    I only had one carton and the chicks would climb over and couple times I found chicks sleeping in the carton with their bottoms in the cups! [​IMG]
    Good luck on your hatch!
    Carolyn

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Yep same here and I have not yet lost a chick hung up in the egg carton. If egg carton bothers you, use the lid part.

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I've been using a carton too. I want to set a big hatch, and go 50% in the carton, and 50% on their sides and see what happens.

9. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:This will not tell you whether or not the cartons make a difference.

You will have no way of knowing if the temp and humidity experienced by the eggs is the same on both sides, and the samplle will likely be too small to be worthwhile.

Reading these threads, and incubating myself tells me that it is quite easy to achieve very close to 100% hatch rates without cartons, and with modest equipment.

If you are consistently managing this, over a period of time you might then see if using cartons reduces your hatch rate. On the other hand, if you are getting high success rates, then you might decide not to change a winning fomula.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by