Day 19 - first time outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NickyPick, Mar 13, 2011.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I needed to do a full clean on the brooder, so I decided to put the girls outside for a while, and of course, had to sit with them. Unfortunately, my camera decided not to work at all, so I've just got Dad's pictures. Dang it.

They weren't sure what was up, so crowded close to me while Opal (the smallest & a SLW) leaped right up on my leg.
    [​IMG]

Guess that wasn't high enough, but I've got a good shelf for climbing [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Standing tall
    [​IMG]

Then she had to check out the other shoulder while my larger dk Brahma, Garnet, decided to climb up on my leg
    [​IMG]

The rest finally started to feel brave and began exploring the pen. Every time the sun would come out from behind the cloud, several would throw themsevles sideways with a wing outstretched and fall asleep. Very funny. Ruby, one of the GLWs, dug a hole and gave the rest a lesson on the proper way to dust bathe. I don't think they were too impressed with the lesson, because they kept walking over the top of her. Didn't get another chick to dust bathe until about 30 minutes later, right before we put them up.

[​IMG]

Garnet and Opal would jump on me everytime I shifted around. Looks like I have two lap chickens!!
    [​IMG]

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    AWWW, they are too cute....Thanks for sharing those pics. It definitely brought a smile to my face to see those little bitties....who could NOT want chickens???

3. PrettyCoy

PrettyCoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Absolutely adorable, especially Garnet and Opal :).

4. bs288

bs288 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    I can't wait to go sit outside with mine

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I love that last picture; such happiness. Mine are about the same age and are outside in the tractor with a black light for warmth (its not cold-we're in south Texas). I wanted to do exactly that today but was planting my herbs. I'll have time to be their very own 'jungle gym' tomorrow...I never get tired of seeing chick pics!

And I just noticed in the first pic that your dog is sneaking a drink from the babies' waterer! Adorable!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  6. BrynnRDH

BrynnRDH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Love the pics! I named my chicks Opal, Pearl, and Ruby!

7. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Ha! I didn't even notice Callie (dog) sneaking under the fence for a drink. She loves to lick the chicks. A LOT.

8. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    I cant wait to take mine out either, but since I'm in Western PA, I'll have to wait a few days.
    Good Idea on the fence, we need a yard fence like that to put the chicks in.

9. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    [​IMG]

10. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Thank you so much for sharing! I love to see the chicks when they venture out for the first time. Our 6 day olds had there first episode of the outdoors yesterday and it was a pleasure to watch them all fight for grass, leaves or whatever the other one had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by