Day 19 Halfway Over Already! Stage One, the first 49 Eggs * PIPS!!!!*

Will they be out of their shells by about 12 hours? I mean do they ever that far ...beak showing and then don't hatch? I am curious as I had one do that to me and now I don't know what to do if it happens again?

It can happen, Carrie, that the beak will be showing then the baby die in the shell. The temp and humidity are great and there's no reason to think the chick is doing anything except resting. I told DH that we are NOT going to assist any chicks in this hatch. Hopefully, I can stick to my guns, LOL.

I've had that happen to me and I always end up rescuing the baby.... Another one was even mostly zipped but not progressing any further. When I took it out, the membrane had dried out, chick still alive, so I helped it out. I do wait 48 hours or more past the time I notice the original pip. I consider it my fault because I have a problem keeping the humidity at the correct level, even though I've already had chicks hatch out on their own in the same hatch.

Just had two of my own Blue Orps, both Skye's, eggs pip, so there are three of the seven of those pipped now. If it looks like there are dry membrane problems, I'll up the humidity alot and hope for the best. Right now the Flukers is reading about 72% in the Hova and the Springfield is reading 73% in the Cooler-Bator. Temps are also holding fine at the moment. I'm just twiddling my thumbs and getting a backache from bending over with a flashlight, LOL.

yuckyuck.gif
I,too, hover over the bators with a flashlight. I notified my post office today to expect eggs. They are excited, too. LOL

Come on chickies!!!!!
jumpy.gif

Cynthia, my batteries are dying in my flashlight from peeking and my back hurts to. LOL!!!!! I can't seem to focus to get much done today.

I've got to go take dd to piano lessons, so maybe they'll make some progress while I'm gone, but I don't won't to miss the hatch part. I guess I want my cake and eat it to so to speak.

Can't wait to see your new babies!

Back
Top Bottom