Day 19 Hatch?

Thanks a ton! We have 2 walking now and the 3rd is about to make his way out.. 3 other eggs pip'd we had 3 questionables during our last candle (day 18) so we marked them and put them off to one side, they are rockin and a rollin!! My first guy was 18 hours old by the time the second hatched, but the youngest is holding his own so I will let him ride in the bator until I absolutely need to take him out.. The 2nd hatch spiked humidity again to 85%. I pulled both plugs for the last spike and it dropped it way too low for a brief period. I ended up putting straw siphons of water into the trays through the plug hole.. Not all that fun but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do! This is an experiment anyways, with the Cornish Cross (broilers) sired by Buff Orps.. Was hoping a for slightly healthier bird with the feed conversion benefits and better longevity for breeding.. We'll see how it plays out. I was told my broilers would never lay, and out of 10, we have gotten about 20 dozen in less than 6 months.. So I decided to give them a roo and see what happened..

Had a minor scare... Woke up at 6:30 this morning to no power, got up and checked the incubator and it was down to 83 degree's, put a towel over it and waited, two hours later it still wasn't on so my sweet DH went out to the shop ( slid because of all the ice) and got the old generator that's older than he is and brought it up to the porch, sucked out some gas from his truck and fired up the generator, within an hour or so the bator was running fine and back up to temp.. :)

I worry about that.. We get pretty hefty winds out here in the plains, and I dont have a generator yet.. I have piglets and of coarse the incubator running, both wouldnt last long in our harsh winters.. Glad to hear your hubby got it up and running!! How long did you go without power?
We are up to 4 chooks now! All of my meat birds hatched
celebrate.gif
plus a leghorn. Just 4 more to go, and tomorrow is technically hatch day so I'm pretty happy. I cracked the bator and pulled the early bird, he was picking the leghorn pretty bad, he (the leghorn) was obviously a little premie and I just felt bad.. So the brooder is active, its eating and drinking already!! My temperature never dipped below 99 and my humidity never dropped as I was still at about 85% from the leghorn hatching.. Its pretty crazy that a single hatch can spike it so high.

It was out at 2:30 am til around 2 or so, then it went off again at 6 pm!!! came back on a few hours later so hopefully its all good now and wont go off again! good to hear all your meaties hat hatched!! I took the opportunity when the electric came back on to candle a few, in 3 of the 5 I could see definite starts... now to be hands off til day 7 which is Wednesday

Well, woke up this morning and we still had electric
wee.gif

Went to check on the incubator and the temp was 104.2....
he.gif

Not sure how long it was there...
hide.gif

Hopefully I'm getting this hatches glitches out of the way early
fl.gif

Maybe you have one of those bators that instinctively makes up for lost time (and heat) from the previous day? lol. Well Im up to 5 chooks now. I see one of my eggs is oozing maple syrup
hit.gif
I have one pip that hasnt progressed since last night. and the questionable eggs havent had much if any movement for some time now.. I will get a few pic up once I pull this stink bomb and get the last 3 chooks in the brooder. Also gonna probe the pip and make sure there is still movement.. it was touching the stink bomb in the bator. The stinkbomb was fine on day 18, moving and everything. I was hoping it was just hatching debris on the "stink bomb" but when I pulled the second chick to put it in the brooder... it was a foul smelling blast of hot air that rose from the bator
sickbyc.gif
.. We have 41 eggs going in after this hatch is complete. I will let these eggs ride until day 23 and then see what happened.

Maybe you have one of those bators that instinctively makes up for lost time (and heat) from the previous day? lol. Well Im up to 5 chooks now. I see one of my eggs is oozing maple syrup
hit.gif
I have one pip that hasnt progressed since last night. and the questionable eggs havent had much if any movement for some time now.. I will get a few pic up once I pull this stink bomb and get the last 3 chooks in the brooder. Also gonna probe the pip and make sure there is still movement.. it was touching the stink bomb in the bator. The stinkbomb was fine on day 18, moving and everything. I was hoping it was just hatching debris on the "stink bomb" but when I pulled the second chick to put it in the brooder... it was a foul smelling blast of hot air that rose from the bator
sickbyc.gif
.. We have 41 eggs going in after this hatch is complete. I will let these eggs ride until day 23 and then see what happened.

ughhh... you have taken out the stink bomb right? If you don't it may very well explode in the bator!!! I have yet to have one like that, I have done a few eggtopsies on ones that died and they were just starting to decomp I would probably never incubate again if one exploded lol...Yes, I am that touchy...
sickbyc.gif

LOL, what I have is a notion that I cannot stay up past 11pm...lol... The older I get the more my body screams bedtime! My fault, I knew it would regulate and had a chance of going up... I doubt it hurt them tho, I had that happen with my first hatch also

ughhh... you have taken out the stink bomb right?

Yeah its out, and just as was suspected.. not hatching debris.. Glad that is over with, and my pip that was right next to it is hatching out now.. Looking strong.. Now if the questionable's will hatch I'm in good shape!! I guess even if they don't, I'm still in good shape. We only had the 2 roo's with these 40 girls about a week and a half, maybe 2 weeks, so we had like 7 or 8 out of about 18 that weren't fertile, 2 rings of death, and 2 that stopped developing after day 13.. I ended up only puling out one of the chicks to put in the brooder, the other 2 can stay and be hatching coaches
jumpy.gif
... Man I wish I could get to bed anywhere near 11, my bedroom sounds like the wild kingdom right now lol.. I have a bottle fed piglet in a makeshift pen beside my bed so I dont have to walk out to the barn at all hours of the night.. He thinks its play time at about 3:30 am, and will toss his stuffed animal around for about an hour, sounding like a horse on our 2nd story wooden floor.. 1 more week and he's so out of here lol..

Back
Top Bottom