Day 20 and No pip :(

Perfectly normal.
smile.png
Once they are ready the chicks start the hatching process by pipping into the air cell, so they can breathe. You may be able to see this if you candle the eggs. After this, what we call "internal pip", they will start absorbing the yolk, which will sustain them for up to 3 days after the hatch and the blood vessels in the internal membrane that breathed for the chick until then, will start retracting. This whole process, from internal pip to hatched, can take up to 30 hours, though a normal hatch usually progresses quicker.

The chick will keep breathing in the air pocket until it needs more oxygen and will then pip through the shell, "external pip". This usually happens after about 6-7 hours, though I've had internal pipes take longer to progress. I've often not seen any sign of life in the incubator until the external pips started appearing. Some chicks will wiggle and you may even hear them cheep in the shells before they pip externally. After the external pip the chicks will wait out the absorption process, which, as I said takes a few hours, so don't worry if it seems they are "stuck", it's a slow process. When they are ready to complete the hatch they will zip the shells open and emerge fully. Leave them in there for awhile so they can recover and dry off before putting them in the brooder.

Sounds good...today is day 22. All 8 of my eggs were full and had chicks but I saw no movement and I know my aircells looked good.all air cells were at the at end as well. I also know that a guy had 4 eggs of mine and he has a industrial bator and so far only 1 hatched and his day 21 was Thursday and this one hatched Sunday.. So was 3 days after day 21, I'll give them a few more days. I still see no pips

I have never seen movement, seldom see eggs wiggle, and have had hatches where iI never heard a peep until the eggs start hatching. But I never touch the eggs - or open the incubator - after day 17, there is a risk of affecting your hatch.

I did the water test and no eggs moved :( I'm so sad. Today is the end of day 22....should I continue to wait??

Today is day 23 no pips and no movement ..I candled this am and some I see veins still and one I can see the chicks head is at the aircell but no movement at all I got a few pics I'll post in a min

Still nothing. I opened 3 and they smelt aweful and they were dead and fluid was in the sack...I think they are all dead :(

Do I need to open all of them or just throw them in the trash? Its sad opening them up and seeing the babies dead ':(

You don't need to open them all. It doesn't sound promising. If you want one last chance, do a final water candle (float one egg at a time in a cup of warm water). If it doesn't wiggle, toss it.

Back
Top Bottom