Day 20 egg and no pip yet..?

I was thinking about maybe just pipping the air sac tonight...? Maybe like make a small hole in the top of the air sac, just big enough to shine a flashlight in to see if its alive? And I'll candle first to see what's going on in there. And yeah last time I hatched chickens twy didn't pip until day 22/23 but I'm still worried. I just want to do what's best, but not be too late. If its alive then I'll put it back in my incubator and take extra good care of the humidity. I'm really hoping this works out!!!

Do not open your incubator. Day 20 is still early. Leave it be and if nothing hatches after day 23 i would candle then. Opening the incubator now can cause your humidity to drop and may cause the chicken problems hatching.

Last edited:
Actually it's day 21. And my humidity couldn't possibly get worse than it already is. As in, 30s-50s and u can't get it up.

Oh, the chick didnt make it. Looks like it was a quitter via bacteria. Oh well, I have hatched 3 chicks from another incubation since then and I have 19 eggs hatching in lockdown right now :)

Oh. My eggs are on lockdown now (day 19) and I'm wondering when they are supposed to pip.

Mine are on day 20 today and the first one started to pip last night. So yours could pip anywhere between now and many days, depending on te conditions your incubator has kept

Back
Top Bottom