Day 20, Is it ok to candle??

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
I am on day 20, and would like to candle my eggs to see how things are progressing, is it ok??

I have to tell you these last 3 days of waiting are 10x worse than the last 3 weeks.
smile.png

lol.png

I know... it's hard. But you don't want to let any of the humidity out, or heat. Not at this stage of the game. I would suggest only candling if you have eggs at 22-23 days and all the others have already hatched. Just find something to keep you occupied so you're not hovering over the incubator cheering on the chicks to bust into the world.
smile.png
Don't forget... an egg can pip, then sit for a long time before actually zipping, so don't interfere. I had one in my last batch pip, then nothing for 19 hours. Then it zipped in 15 minutes and was done while I wasn't looking!
lol.png

Good luck, and congratulations, momma!
fl.gif

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

lol.png

I know... it's hard. But you don't want to let any of the humidity out, or heat. Not at this stage of the game. I would suggest only candling if you have eggs at 22-23 days and all the others have already hatched. Just find something to keep you occupied so you're not hovering over the incubator cheering on the chicks to bust into the world.
smile.png
Don't forget... an egg can pip, then sit for a long time before actually zipping, so don't interfere. I had one in my last batch pip, then nothing for 19 hours. Then it zipped in 15 minutes and was done while I wasn't looking!
lol.png

Good luck, and congratulations, momma!
fl.gif

Thank you so much for your advice and your help!!!​

She is so right! But that "sit on your hands" reminded me of when my sons were little and we were in a store with them wanting to touch everything. We'd say, "Hands in your pockets, mister!", LOL!
lol.png
Yep, just hang in there! It won't be long now.

It really is not good to candle after day 18..the chicks are getting into postion to hatch, they need their temps and humidity kept at on spot...and opening the bator and handling eggs is not wise if you expect a hatch to happen...

Back
Top Bottom