day 20 two hatched...what should I do????

chicksnducks

Songster
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Durant OK
two hatched, one this morning and one about 5 minutes ago. NOW WHAT??? Do I just leave them in the bator???? there are still 17 more chicken eggs and one duck egg....
I came home to check on them and God hatched it just in time for me to see!!!!
well I gotta go back to work but need to know how hot the brooder should be and when should I move the babies?

the brooder should be around 95 for the first week and then lower it 5 degrees each week after that.

Last edited:
Brooder needs to be 90-95 degrees for the first week. I don't know what to tell you about moving them. Usually you don't open that incubator until all are hatched but with these being a day early, you better wait for an experienced person to tell you. However, the one that just hatched won't be dry enough for a while so you can't move them right now anyway.

Leave it in there until you have more to pull out. Once a day opening the bator right now is a maximum. They will be ok for a day or so.

Hatched chicks can live 3 days without food or water...they are absorbing their yolks and thats what they live on for the first few days...thats why a hatchery can ship day olds...Leave them in the bator til they start to fluff up and a few more hatch...you are going to lose humidity at the wrong time if you keep opening the bator...

Everyone has told you the correct temps for your brooder set up...

great! thanks...I havent' opened it since day 18 and will wait. now I have two more that hatched but one is lying on it's back and can't seem to get up....my gosh it is so frustrating ...I just want to help him.....any advice???

Well, when I have had one hatch and is on it's back, I have been known to stick a drinking straw (or similiar) thru one of the vent holes and flip him over, if you can reach him thru a vent hole.

I did flip him last nite but sticking something in the hole...he looks better but is still not looking right....thanks....there are five total and I still didn't open it....still being patient!!!
thanks for all the advice from you chicken midwives!!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom