Day 21 Internal Pip! Wish them all luck! :D

ByeByeBlackBird

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Falls Village CT
Im pretty excited, all ive been doing all week this week is reading posts on the days im at seeing what everybody elses experiences were on that day. Today, day 21 FINALLY i heard my very first peep from one of the silkie eggs i set last month!! Totally exciting.

Ive been running a still air bator cooler ( think igloo cooler) with Flexwatt heat tape and a herpstat thermostat to regulate the heat tape. Out of thirteen original silkie eggs only five have made it to hatch. These guys were shipped, and Three ended up starting development, and for whatever reason, quit pretty early on. One was nearly entirely developed before i tossed it, It had a beak and colored areas where the feathers would have come in. Sad to see, and had me worried i somehow messed something up. a few were probably not fertile at all, or just got tossed around during shipment enough to not be viable any longer. Regardless im pleased with my results thus far!
big_smile.png
Peeper there is making it all worth the fuss.

Now that ive heard the peep, while i should have been in "LOCKDOWN" I was checking the eggs twice a day ( keeping up humidity) just for any signs. I candled last night (and got rid of a quitter from the Golden Buffs while i was at it! Good thing!) and SAW movement in the silkies, so i figured maybe things were just going to be a little slower. If i saw an external pip, i just would have made sure the humidity was on par and let things be. ( Now im definitely not touching anything!)

Ill keep everyone updated. Just cause.
smile.png
Its an exciting process.

One hatched last night!! one has pipped this afternoon, and one more is still internally pipped. the other two silkie eggs may or may not hatch, we shall see, and the three golden buffs should start any day now. So exciting!
wink.png
pictures later of the first little one. that peeping is too cute!! weve named this one "Tengu"!

Three that are out so far!

Far Right was the first one to come out, when i got home tonight those two on the left ( Blue?) *though im told the parents of these guys carry the lavender gene? But i know nothing about colors still! or their subtleties!* were romping around the bator. They were pretty fluffy and dry so i just put them in the brooder with the rest. Why not, more company is better!
206307_10150260186098916_589868915_9268458_4595223_n.jpg

One that had pipped yesterday never made it.
sad.png
I guess i just wasnt observant enough or i may have been able to intervene. But it had Pipped too far back and ended up drowning, or just unable to take adequate breath to get the rest of the way out.
sad.png
sad sad. The last egg hadnt pipped, and i didnt see movement, so i wasnt sure. So i poked a hole in the end of the big egg. This one pipped sideways too, but was still alive! I removed some of the shell away from the membrane and lightly moistened it. Still has yolk to metabolize though, so hopefully keeping it contained in some moist paper towels ( inside its egg) will help keep up the humidity and allow it time to take in that yolk! Crossing my fingers!

Back
Top Bottom