Day 21 is the longest day of my life 🤣

Cjsquiggle

Chirping
Dec 12, 2018
Guys. It’s day 21 with chicken eggs. When candled on day 18 there was movement I could see clearly at least in one. Some of these shells are darker so hard to see. They’ve been on lock down after that. Not a lot of movement....anxious mom here 🤣. I’m just staring at them now haha!

Guys. It’s day 21 with chicken eggs. When candled on day 18 there was movement I could see clearly at least in one. Some of these shells are darker so hard to see. They’ve been on lock down after that. Not a lot of movement....anxious mom here 🤣. I’m just staring at them now haha!
If there's no external pips, I'd go ahead and do a quick candle. Usually they should internally pip on day 19, externally pip on day 20, and hatch either on day 20 or on day 21.

If there's no external pips, I'd go ahead and do a quick candle. Usually they should internally pip on day 19, externally pip on day 20, and hatch either on day 20 or on day 21.
Ah ok. This is my first time. I’m panicking ha

Ok. So I see movement in two with intact air cell. There’s movement in a third but the air cell is way smaller and hard to see. I’m not sure what’s happening there. Doesn’t look like internal pip pictures

Ok. So I see movement in two with intact air cell. There’s movement in a third but the air cell is way smaller and hard to see. I’m not sure what’s happening there. Doesn’t look like internal pip pictures
Ok. If the air cell is smaller, the chick may be internally pipped or shadowing. Did you check the internal temp of your incubator with a calibrated thermometer prior to incubating? The chicks should be further along in the hatching process by now. I'm wondering if the temp has been consistently on the cool side.

Ok. If the air cell is smaller, the chick may be internally pipped or shadowing. Did you check the internal temp of your incubator with a calibrated thermometer prior to incubating? The chicks should be further along in the hatching process by now. I'm wondering if the temp has been consistently on the cool side.
Hmm. I’ve had it set to 100.5 with 50/55 humidity. It would definitely fluctuate by a degree or so during the day. That’s the settings I was told was best for them and also for my specific incubator. I lowered to 98.5 for lockdown with 60/65 humidity.

Hmm. I’ve had it set to 100.5 with 50/55 humidity. It would definitely fluctuate by a degree or so during the day. That’s the settings I was told was best for them and also for my specific incubator. I lowered to 98.5 for lockdown with 60/65 humidity.
That would be right if you're SURE that the thermometer was correct. The thermometers that are built into incubators are almost never right. The one on my incubator reads several degrees high, so I have to rely only on my extra calibrated thermometer inside. You should salt test an extra hygrometer to keep inside too.

Ok
oh. Also this might be important. These eggs were under a broody chicken for the first two weeks.
That would be right if you're SURE that the thermometer was correct. The thermometers that are built into incubators are almost never right. The one on my incubator reads several degrees high, so I have to rely only on my extra calibrated thermometer inside. You should salt test an extra hygrometer to keep inside too.
So just an update. We had two hatch on Saturday. And one early this morning. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom