Day 21 no external pip.

Pics
You can cheep and cluck back at them for encouragement if you’d like, I know I do 😜 and there is always possibility of having to assist hatch but it’s usually not needed unless you absolutely have to. I know @Kiki is very experienced with assisting hatches and she gives great advice. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind helping guide you through it if it comes down to that. I know it’s hard to wait after all this time but be patient and hang in there. Give them a chance to hatch themselves first before trying to intervene

is there a possibility i need to assist hatch
I assisted a chick in hatching earlier today.
You need tweezers, preferably needle nose, and a clean towel and surgical gloves, if possible.
You need to put the shower on high with hot water and the curtain open and wait for the mirror to fog. (Wash your hands right now. Might as well.)
Go get your first egg, shut yourself in the sauna, put the egg on a clean washcloth or towel, and carefully tap to crack the aircell area. Then slowly peel the egg shell, but not the membrane, off bit by bit. If the chick is alive, it should move bc that's gotta be scary.
Assess the situation at that point...
Is the chick moving? Chirping?
Do you think its strong enough to push itself out the rest of the way? (If yes, I'd still chip more shell off to make it easier and then put it back in the incubator and keep an eye on it.)
FYI - It could get stuck in there if humidity dips too low. But you dont want the humidity higher than 80% imho.
Also, if you start peeling shell bits off and see any blood, stop and put it back in the incubator. The chick could have not gotten done absorbing the yolk, so it needs more bake time as well...
I watched three youtube videos and gave it a shot. I have a healthy baby fluffing up nicely in the incubator now, so I cant say that I regret it.
Good Luck!
I hope this helps!

Last edited:
one of the eggs is about to external pip its really strong, the other one sounds weak only chirped twice, and we had to chirp to keep it going
The other chick is most likely not weak but just resting…You have to imagine how hard it is for baby chicks to have to gather up enough energy in order to break through their shell. It’s exhausting work, really. Just give them some time and let them work their magic.

Don’t forget to take some pics of them hatching! There are many cool contests here on BYC! 😎

Back
Top Bottom