Day 21 w/my broody & no pip's yet =( none are moving?UPDATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    she's sitting on 8 eggs! [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't know what to think? I'm going to check in the am on her and she's still sitting on them so i hope she knows better than me and isnt just sitting on dead chicks. [​IMG] I don't know why I can't shake this bad feeling about them...i didn't do anything wrong...i candled them WAY less (probably only 2 times and i know i didnt have to b/c she's a broody and knows what she's doing but i'm to in awe and learning...its my 1st hatch too! [​IMG]) but REALLY. I wish I knew SOMEthing was going to go on in there soon...

not to mention its supposed to rain all day tommorrow so i get to look like a wet dog all day running back and forth to the coop to peak in for babies! [​IMG]

UPDATE: Were in FL and its STORMING (perfect timing huh?) and i went out to shut the coop and check on her and OF course i would hear little cheeps! I don't know if there was anything under her already hatched or if they just pip'd b/c i didnt want to move her so they wouldnt shrink wrap! This is NERVE wracking...and aweful b/c they just HAD to pick when its hurricaning outside!

AND nighttime so i really wont know what going on till am...LOL

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Leave mama alone. If you keep lifting her, And there is a pip you will shrink wrap it. Ill tell you what everyone told me " Leave mama alone she knows what shes doing" Good luck [​IMG] give it time [​IMG] sit on your hands

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Maybe try a float test? I've heard that this can sometimes help prevent shrink wrapping...

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Well if theres a pip and you stick it in water, You will drowned the chick. But leave it alone, Trust me if the eggs are fertile and she was a good mom, IM SURE they will hatch [​IMG] Leave the eggs under the broody

[​IMG] come on babies!!!! 21 days.. Ive heard of hatches on day 22.... give it time.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Oh btw I had my 2 broodies hatch chicks 3 days ago... and I got worried because it was day 20 almost 21 and no pips.... So at like 21 days and 10 hours I got 2 pips almost the same time. When the next day 21 days 19 hours I carfully put my hand under my broody and I felt a broken shell ( and a chick! ) and the other egg had nothing. SoI went to the other she had one Chick under her and a zippin one [​IMG]

I had one in the bator that hatched also....

so maybe the next day when you wake up there might be chicks! who knows. [​IMG] Keep updated. Id say by the time you wake up the next day there might be a chick. Just DONT lift her (carefully slide your hand under her and feel for pips or and thing... When you get a pip, Fight the temptation to keep looking under her...

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:I meant for the ones that hadn't yet pipped. Of course, I wouldn't do that to one that had broken the shell...[​IMG]

7. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:I meant for the ones that hadn't yet pipped. Of course, I wouldn't do that to one that had broken the shell...[​IMG]

ya, I diddent think u meant it like that [​IMG]

8. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    AH! Ok, i didnt know about not lifting her...[​IMG] i really dont think ANY were pip'd...at all that i could see...and i barely lifted her to count them (she ate one before-yum) and see if there was a chick under her maybe...i really wish i knew the exact day she started sitting i (thought) it was one day and it really could have been a day or two before but there WAS something in there when i candled so i guess i'll just sit with my hands strapped behind me and just keep looking at her now and then to see if something happens! [​IMG] Thks! I NEVER knew it would be this hard! [​IMG]

9. chknmomma

chknmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    Please keep us posted - my first hatching is this weekend under a 1st time broody. So I want to hear how it went with you!!!

10. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Mama2B&D&...Chickens :

AH! Ok, i didnt know about not lifting her...[​IMG] i really dont think ANY were pip'd...at all that i could see...and i barely lifted her to count them (she ate one before-yum) and see if there was a chick under her maybe...i really wish i knew the exact day she started sitting i (thought) it was one day and it really could have been a day or two before but there WAS something in there when i candled so i guess i'll just sit with my hands strapped behind me and just keep looking at her now and then to see if something happens! [​IMG] Thks! I NEVER knew it would be this hard! [​IMG]

Oh yes, its very hard im on day 3 in the bator and im super excited allready [​IMG]

Good luck keep us posted [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by