Day 22 and movement has stopped :o

Pics

LouiseFiveJ

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2017
This is my first time incubating, before lockdown I candled and could clearly see 2 where fine one of which was wriggling around 2 i couldn't see anything as it was to dark, day 21 one of my eggs was rocking in the incubator but i have not seen it move since is this normal???? Im worried that maybe it has died?? my humidity has been quite low and ive struggled to keep it up so not sure if this means they would have died? HELPPPPP :'(

This is my first time incubating, before lockdown I candled and could clearly see 2 where fine one of which was wriggling around 2 i couldn't see anything as it was to dark, day 21 one of my eggs was rocking in the incubator but i have not seen it move since is this normal???? Im worried that maybe it has died?? my humidity has been quite low and ive struggled to keep it up so not sure if this means they would have died? HELPPPPP :'(

Try and keep the humidity up as they could just be resting. Have they made a pip hole or do you see any cracks in the eggs? If there is a hole, what is the colour of the membrane?

Try and keep the humidity up as they could just be resting. Have they made a pip hole or do you see any cracks in the eggs? If there is a hole, what is the colour of the membrane?

I have been checking the humidity as often as i can to add water and keep it up but seems every time i check it its gone really low, no pips or cracks yet and i havent seen any movement since yesterday

I know someone will say I'm wrong and don't do it but my first hatch went bad seriously I went into lock down with 8 eggs all were shrink wrapped and I had to assist everyone of them. I'm not saying that is your issue but I'm saying it could happen as low humidity can cause this. I suggest looking at the thread for assisting hatching it helped me when I got to the point of if they are going to die at lest go out fighting. With that attitude out of the 8 I lost one as I got to it to late. I seriously hope that is not the case for you and that it's just a case of nerves and excitement.

I know someone will say I'm wrong and don't do it but my first hatch went bad seriously I went into lock down with 8 eggs all were shrink wrapped and I had to assist everyone of them. I'm not saying that is your issue but I'm saying it could happen as low humidity can cause this. I suggest looking at the thread for assisting hatching it helped me when I got to the point of if they are going to die at lest go out fighting. With that attitude out of the 8 I lost one as I got to it to late. I seriously hope that is not the case for you and that it's just a case of nerves and excitement.
Thank you this is what im worried about as dont want to sit around and wait if theres something wrong just hard to decided when and what i should do lol thank you

Thank you this is what im worried about as dont want to sit around and wait if theres something wrong just hard to decided when and what i should do lol thank you

Just be careful when assisting eggs, as if you help too soon, you can risk killing it from the yolk sac not being absorbed properly or it bleeding to death from the ruptured blood vessels in the inner membrane.

I have had a shrinkwrapped chick before, one of my silkie chicks. It had made a pip, but the humidity had dropped under the hen and so the chick got wrapped by the inner membrane and was unable to move, and after trying to hatch, the egg went still and I could hear a faint, weak peeping. It was very weak when I got it out of the egg, but started gaining strength after a rest and is now 3 month old.

The second silkie egg had a brown outer membrane but the inner membrane was fine. I helped it hatch and it is also 3 month old.

I also helped a quail egg who had a brown outer membrane. It was both easier yet also more stressful to assist than the silkie eggs.

Assisting eggs can be done, even with me with my shaky hands (I'd never be a good surgeon) but it is a lot of guess work in whether to help the eggs or not. I have been lucky so far in my assists, but I always feel dread the moment I start chipping away at the shell.

If you going down the route of helping I suggest candlelight each of the and marking out the air cell and crack just enough to try and see what the membrane looks like around the chick. If it's white like paper get water and olive oil or coconut oil and start putting it on the membrane with a q tip if you don't see a beak gently look for it and carefully peel the membrane away to expose the beak I suggest using tweezers for this whole job. It will take quite a few hrs going at a slow steady pace but if they are shrink wrapped then it's worth it to at least try.

Just a note even when they make a first pip they can still be absorbing the little bit of left over yolk that's why you don't rush it with assisted hatches.

Please don't jump in and assist too soon.

Let's address a few things first:

What kind of eggs?
What kind of incubator?
What temps and humidity did you run throughout incubation (I understand you said low, but do you have some numbers)
What is your local humidity like? Do you live in a dry or humid area?
Are you positive of the day count? (its a common error, so please don't be offended by the question)
Are your vents fully open?
Were your thermometer and hygrometer tested for accuracy?

I am a hands-on hatcher and all for assisting when the time comes, but the "when" is the part we need to figure out.

Please don't jump in and assist too soon.

Let's address a few things first:

What kind of eggs?
What kind of incubator?
What temps and humidity did you run throughout incubation (I understand you said low, but do you have some numbers)
What is your local humidity like? Do you live in a dry or humid area?
Are you positive of the day count? (its a common error, so please don't be offended by the question)
Are your vents fully open?
Were your thermometer and hygrometer tested for accuracy?

I am a hands-on hatcher and all for assisting when the time comes, but the "when" is the part we need to figure out.

Hello, they are Pekin chicken eggs the humidity has been running between 45-50% the whole way through temp at 37.5 c the whole way through the last couple of days when ive checked and humidity has been low i have managed to get it up to around 60% local humidity has been quite high especially over the last couple of days with VERY hot weather today humidity is 57% in my area. i put them in on the 29th may afternoon time cant remember exactly what time but would have been between 4 and 6 and now after checking i realise that actually that makes today day 21??? the incubator i have is a digital clear egg incubator (please dont judge i know its only a cheap more than likely 'crap' incubator) however i have borrowed it off a friend being my first time who has previously hatched 5 ducks and 3 chickens from it on 3 different occasions i was expecting all of them to go through to hatching but after candling and seeing movement and then also seeing movement yesterday with one of the eggs rocking i got myself excited but now just woundering weather im missing the movement or weather it has stopped moving altogether :/.
Ok briliant would really appreciate the help if it come to it fingers crossed it doesnt

Back
Top Bottom