Day 22 and no chicks

matt28

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Okemah Oklahoma
I have a hen that has been on 9 eggs for 22 day and there in so chicks yet I know the eggs are good and have baby's in them how much longer will it take? I went in bought 6 baby's thinking the eggs were bad but then put the eggs in warm water and they were kicking and moving around when they do hatch will the hen raise the six chicks I bought plus what she hatches. Thanks

images

Welcome to BYC!

They don't always hatch right at 21 days. Just let the hen do her job and let things be. She will know what to do when they hatch.

Good luck with your broody and babies and keep us posted!!

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the hatch, X3 21 days is just an average and they may hatch a little later, you should be able to slip the chicks you bought under her after hers have hatched. Give them a day or so then at night put the new chicks under her, keep a close watch to be sure everything goes well, but most broodys that have chicks the same age are fine as long as you do it at night and quietly.

We'll 3 have hatched and 2 are dead and one was out of the nest all cold it looked like she pecked one and killed it will she kill the others why did she do that

Back
Top Bottom