Day 22 and no pip yet

mustangsaguaro

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
San Martin, Ca
I have one of my silkies. This is her first time going broody. SHe is still pretty young sitting on one lone egg. Anyways, by my calender it is Day 22 for this egg. Chick has not pipped yet. I candled egg and did see movement inside.

Also, because this was her first time being broody there were some issues in the beginning. I originally had her sitting in her coop inside an upside down bucket w/ a hole in it for her to climb in and out when she wanted to get food and water. Well, there were many a time when I would go to check on her and she would be outside the bucket not sitting on the egg. How long it was like that an hour, maybe more I do not know. So took the bucket away. But then she would do the same thing w/o the bucket. She would go eat/drink and then go back to sitting albeit closer to the egg but not sitting on it. I didn't have to much confidence in this silkie thus the reason why only one egg under her to see what she would do.

Anyways, I am thinking because of all the times I found her not sitting on the egg even though it is day 22 and there is movement it might actually take this chick a little longer to hatch because of all the times I found her not sitting on the egg and it just took a bit longer to form. Have any of you experienced this in the past?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom