Day 22 helping chicks hatch

Cin Chick

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2022
Hi all. We have hatched many batches of chicks and all had either pips or peeping sounds by day 22.
Ours seemed like a faulty batch this time. Only 5 out of 30 were viable by lockdown. This morning was Day 22 with still no peeping or activity at all.
So, based on previous experience of not helping soon enough, we decided to candle (no activity at all). So we put a hole in each at the air cell. Shell was VERY hard. First one dead. Second third and fourth we’re all alive! Jeez! But they had no indication of hatching. Abnormally large air cell so I assumed too dry and thought they would all be dead.
Well, darn it all….now what?! We’ve remove a large portion of shell around air cell on each before determine they were alive. Can’t remove membrane because we did a teensy but on one and it started to bleed right away.
We’ve dampened the membrane and put back in incubator with a moist sponge placed right in front of open area.
I have no idea what to do now?! Just leave them? Should I open the membrane a teensy for air? Don’t want them to bleed (one bled already) and they are all moving but with no peeping and no real look like they want to hatch. You can see this little ones beak and head.

Attachments

• 9628C3F9-3198-4281-A216-6F18A1DC6791.jpeg
    9628C3F9-3198-4281-A216-6F18A1DC6791.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 1B94CDC4-4E5D-4ACD-9445-A7925E07F5B3.jpeg
    1B94CDC4-4E5D-4ACD-9445-A7925E07F5B3.jpeg
    381.9 KB · Views: 21
Hi all. We have hatched many batches of chicks and all had either pips or peeping sounds by day 22.
Ours seemed like a faulty batch this time. Only 5 out of 30 were viable by lockdown. This morning was Day 22 with still no peeping or activity at all.
So, based on previous experience of not helping soon enough, we decided to candle (no activity at all). So we put a hole in each at the air cell. Shell was VERY hard. First one dead. Second third and fourth we’re all alive! Jeez! But they had no indication of hatching. Abnormally large air cell so I assumed too dry and thought they would all be dead.
Well, darn it all….now what?! We’ve remove a large portion of shell around air cell on each before determine they were alive. Can’t remove membrane because we did a teensy but on one and it started to bleed right away.
We’ve dampened the membrane and put back in incubator with a moist sponge placed right in front of open area.
I have no idea what to do now?! Just leave them? Should I open the membrane a teensy for air? Don’t want them to bleed (one bled already) and they are all moving but with no peeping and no real look like they want to hatch. You can see this little ones beak and head.
Oh and temps and humidity showing in incubator are just because it was opened. They are back to proper measurements within 10 minutes

Ok just went to pull a teensy but open with needle nose tweezers, by the beak and I got this red dot blood and I stopped

Attachments

• FE52A029-46D4-4907-9AFC-9A229A343488.jpeg
    FE52A029-46D4-4907-9AFC-9A229A343488.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 23
Ok just went to pull a teensy but open with needle nose tweezers, by the beak and I got this red dot blood and I stopped
Nicking a tiny vein isn't problematic. Only the large veins. The small veins are easy to stop bleeding.
Just gotta allow the chicks to breathe.

Keeping the membrane moist is the second most important thing.

Back
Top Bottom