Day 22 incubating egg and it is moving! EDIT: Hatching...Is it taking too long?

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
So a little while ago I said on one of the topics that I was going to let my boyfriend incubate a peafowl egg. He has done pretty well with the egg and so today when I went to his house and looked at the egg, I thought I saw it move very slightly. I thought I was just seeing things but later when I turned the egg it moved a lot! I guess when I am not the one incubating the egg it seems like it doesn't take long before they are about ready to hatch. I feel like it hasn't been long and my boyfriend said today is day 22 of incubation. So I just want to make sure everything goes well...

He is already not turning it anymore, and has added extra water. He has the incubator at 100 deg. but does the temp need to be turned down for hatching or kept the same? I am pretty bad at retaining hatching info for some reason...Every year I always ask about the same questions again. I need to write this stuff down someplace...

Anyways tomorrow we will buy medicated starter and I will take my little peachick playpen to my boyfriend's house, oh and I need to make sure I take the heat lamp too. He is really excited!

Another main question is if the egg is moving just a little right now (moving a bit if you talk to it but not rocking a lot) when will it start to pip?

We played a youtube video of a peachick making lots of noise tonight and the egg started moving. I always like to play videos of peachicks making noise to eggs to help encourage them to hatch. My boyfriend Aaron really wants this chick to be like Peep, so I told him he needs to talk to the egg a lot right now. Hopefully this egg will be another very friendly peafowl.

This is really sweet, it's great that you're helping him with the hatch.
I'm sure the hatchers here will be happy to remind you about temperatures, etc.
In the meantime, hope that all goes well! Keep us posted!
fl.gif
wee.gif

You can stop turning the egg on day 26 and it should pip around the 27th days with a hatch by the 28th day. On the 26th day I would increase humidity then as well.

Last edited:
Okay thanks Yoda! I had it marked for the 26th day to stop turning and add the water, but I wasn't sure if when the egg starts wiggling if that means you need to stop. Thanks so I will tell him today that even though we saw it move we should still increase the humidity and stop turning on the original day we scheduled. Aaron's Birthday is coming up next week and the 28th day of incubation just happens to be the day of his Birthday. Aaron really hopes it hatches on his Birthday. That would be really really cool!

I've never had a peafowl egg take 28 days to hatch.99.6 degrees from start to finish.After some advice from an expert last week I'm now upping my rh to no less than 50%. Lower humidity he said is what causes curled toes at hatch.60% rh last 2 days of incubation

I let my boyfriend use my hovabator incubator for the egg. It comes with plastic trays inside and at first you only fill one tray but when it is close to hatch time you fill both. Do you get more humidity if the water is shallower? I always filled the trays up as much as they could hold because I never wanted the water to run out and me not be there to re-fill it or something. Should we be keeping the water shallower? The trays are not that deep...

I've never had a peafowl egg take 28 days to hatch.99.6 degrees from start to finish.After some advice from an expert last week I'm now upping my rh to no less than 50%. Lower humidity he said is what causes curled toes at hatch.60% rh last 2 days of incubation
Frenchy yes 27-29 days for peafowl to hatch start to finish. I have more then 50% humidity in my incubator and I still get curled toes. I think it has to do witrh the thickness of the shell and the chick trying tp push itself out of the hard shell. Some come out easier then others and all are in the same temp and humidity

Well my boyfriend said the egg is still doing well. It is always fun watching it move when you talk to it. Tomorrow is the day it will no longer need to be turned and extra water will be added. My fingers are crossed
fl.gif
that it will hatch on his Birthday because I know that would be a cool present for him. I bought some chick starter for him to feed it and found the heat lamp, but I am having trouble finding the fold up baby crib we use for peachicks...It wasn't at my Grandparents barn or in our garage so hopefully it is in our barn...

If you are planning to use a baby crib, you may or may not need a heat lamp= may be a 60w regular light bulb will do it.. There is always a danger for the chick , from the excessive heat generated by a heat lamp . The best way is to check the temp.by placing a digital thermometer on the floor where you are going to place the newly hatched chick before hand using different wattage light bulbs.. The peahen body temperatute is 104 F, that protects the chicks from freeze-death. you may need about 90-95 F. to start with Some people did report the death of peachicks using a 250W heat lamp in a very small confinement. Best way to avoid this is to measure the temp. and reduce temperature by a few degrees at 7-10 days intervals until they feather fully to protect themselves, usually about 10 -12 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom