Day 22 no movement help

Congrats on the Pip! I use the cartons for lockdown and just hatched out 23/30 with only 1 cull and 2 dead in shell. 4 were eggs that should have been tossed on day 18 (early death ) but I didn't do a day 18 candle (was super late and had to work the next morning.) That being said, I started off incubating in a little giant and I had terrible hatches until I added a computer fan which made the temp stabilize throughout the incubator. I use 2 kitchen thermometers and a digital accurite with humidity readings so that I can compare temps (1 kitchen is digital and the other is analog). My first hatches in the little giant were terrible; like 30% hatch rate and lower. Once I added the fan, I had a 75% and 100% hatch rate. I don't hatch in it as often, as I use the Roll-X that I have and could hatch a rock if it were possible, but I do use the cartons still at lockdown. One thing to be sure of when using cartons- there have to be holes cut in the bottom for air circulation. The paper towel on the wire will be fine, but the wire doesn't normally cause problems. 

I hope that helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask! Theres a great wealth of knowledge on hatching here. Theres also an LG thread with a great deal of knowledge as well. 

I will take your advice and next time add a fan and if I'm still having problems I'm def going to look into getting a nicer incubator. Not sure if I can justify a 540$ with my fiancé lol! But something nice. I honestly love the simplness of the brinesa mini advance.

My egg was chirping last night about 2 am and still had not made the hole any bigger. There doesn't seem to be much air getting inside as it hasn't necessarily punched out the tiny hole it made to begin with if that makes sense.

Still no pips from the others. I'm hoping this little one will hurry up it hasn't done anything since 6:45 yesterday and its 10:30 am now

I used the hova bator 1602n still air incubator which is a Styrofoam type I got it for $45.00, and I was happy with it but controlling the temperature to stay in on place was a little challenging, I think if I add a fan it will be a lot better, they have a newer model that comes with a fan you might want to try that one and its not $400 :) ebay has one for $75 hers a link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/230549308975?lpid=82

I used the hova bator 1602n still air incubator which is a Styrofoam type I got it for $45.00, and I was happy with it but controlling the temperature to stay in on place was a little challenging, I think if I add a fan it will be a lot better, they have a newer model that comes with a fan you might want to try that one and its not $400 :) ebay has one for $75 hers a link  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/230549308975?lpid=82

oh thank you! I will look into that and show my fiancé for sure!

Still trying to get this little sucker out of the shell. He's been stuck in the same zipping spot for 5 hours now in that egg carton. Do you think if I sat him on his side on the floor on the bator it might help.
I really don't know about helping but my fiancé is suggesting to go ahead and help.

well they say you are not suppose to open the incubator during the last days of lock down, but when i did it it was because of humidity problems i had to open it 3 times during lock down to add cups of water and help raise humidity, I tried being as fast as i could to minimize the time it was open and my chicks hatched just fine. And about your egg laying on the floor its the best way for them to hatch actually, when people use egg tuners the instructions say to take the turner out for lock down and place the eggs on the floor for a couple reasons one so they dont get stuck in the turner and also so the can roll and kick and adjust themselves in to a hatching position.

I have a few questions, so that I may be able to help you.

1- Did you remove the red plugs from the little giant?
2- What did you run the humidity at during the first 18 days of incubation, and also what is your room humidity in the room the incubator is set up in?

Those are some things to consider. I removed the red plugs from the LG around day 10, after I added the fan I never put them in. I dry incubate, and I do not add any water until day 18, when I add water to bring the humidity up to about 45-50%, but that won't work for everyone.

If the egg has been pipped since last night with no progress, I would definitely check it. I open mine all the time during the lockdown process to remove hatched chicks and add water. I have had an occasional chick get stuck, when that happens I rewet the membrane and assist only until they can get their head popped up out of the shell, after that I lay them on the floor and let them come out on their own.

As far as a better incubator, they can definitely be costly!! I researched for months the one that I wanted, and even contemplated just making my own cabinet incubator, however, I came across my roll-x as a deal on craigslist for $150 and couldn't pass it up. I got it in may and it has hatched out 80-100% hatches since. I did make a cooler-bator which was fun, and it hatched out 100% with its first complete hatch!! But it took a lot of tinkering to get it right.

Hope that little peeper is out for you now!

I have a few questions, so that I may be able to help you.

1- Did you remove the red plugs from the little giant?
2- What did you run the humidity at during the first 18 days of incubation, and also what is your room humidity in the room the incubator is set up in?

Those are some things to consider. I removed the red plugs from the LG around day 10, after I added the fan I never put them in. I dry incubate, and I do not add any water until day 18, when I add water to bring the humidity up to about 45-50%, but that won't work for everyone. 

If the egg has been pipped since last night with no progress, I would definitely check it. I open mine all the time during the lockdown process to remove hatched chicks and add water. I have had an occasional chick get stuck, when that happens I rewet the membrane and assist only until they can get their head popped up out of the shell, after that I lay them on the floor and let them come out on their own. 

As far as a better incubator, they can definitely be costly!! I researched for months the one that I wanted, and even contemplated just making my own cabinet incubator, however, I came across my roll-x as a deal on craigslist for $150 and couldn't pass it up. I got it in may and it has hatched out 80-100% hatches since. I did make a cooler-bator which was fun, and it hatched out 100% with its first complete hatch!! But it took a lot of tinkering to get it right. 

Hope that little peeper is out for you now! 

1. Yes I took the first one out the first day as instructed by the instructions and I think I took the second one out about a week later.

2. Here's where it gets a little confusing. Before I incubated I read to just follow the instruction that comes with the bator so I did just that. I left the temp at 99.5 factory setting and filled the water reservoirs with water. All that night I did research and decided I would let the water in the wells dry up and not put any more water in. The bator said the humidity was at 40 (which who knows how humid it was because the whole digital thermometer humidity reader was so off) on the 17th day I bought my own digital hygrometer and it said the temp was 95 ish and humidity was at about 40. I also was emailing someone back and forth who said she has 100 percent hatch rates with waiting to raise the humidity until the first pip. That was my plan but after it was day 21 and I had no pips I raised it to about 55. Then after I saw my fist pip on day 22 I raised it to 65 and its stayed that way ever since.

As far as the humidity in the room I honestly could not tell you unfortunely.

Two eggs pipped around 1:30-2:30 today no more progress which is fine. But the initial pip of the first one was 5:45 yesterday and it actually created then hole that is in my picture at about noon today. It hasn't made any progress what so ever and just looks wore out poor baby.

Thank you for your reply! Maybe you can help!

I have my FIRST PIP!!!!!!!!!!

wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

It hasn't done anything for 3 hours but it can take up to 24 hours right??

I hope he makes it out ok! Next time I won't be using the cartons. And will be using 3 thermometers

Thanks for all the help guys! I will keep y'all posted
pop.gif

Congratulations!
Isn't that an 'addictive' feeling, I was hooked immediately !

I used the bottom carton until lock down and then after a cool down period, while I weighed, candled, marked air cells, etc., I replaced them in the bator on the top half of the cardboard carton and use those little air lip things so that they had enough room, I could tilt their head (I hope their head!) slightly up and give them a little protection from rolling or being rolled around. Also did it thinking easier cleanup...
Two hatched a day early and waiting on another one that xternally pipped but has yet to break the membrane, making me nervous but have learned from you guys to be patient...not hard to do with two fuzz butts to watch, right!
Cartons I, so far don't mind, ( 2 out of seven, doesn't take a lot to get me happy )
Oh your wee-ones do well and all that hard work pays off!
Fourth one just pipped!

Last edited:
#1The eggs need to be on their side for the last couple days of incubation #2 don't help opening the egg the bird can do the job #3 a baby can take up to 3 days to hatch #4 as long as there's a hole for the baby to pip it's "ok"

Back
Top Bottom