day 23 and I've had cherping!

Also is it safe to move the eggs out of the crates now or should I just leave them?

Yeah but I would do it super fast ....also try not to turn them too much when you do ...just pick them straight up and turn them slowly to there side and put them down gently on the bottom of thw incubator...I incubate mine in egg cartons and then take them out on day 18
...... Totally safe just be fast and gentle.

If you have one pipped toward the bottom ..put the pip facing where you can see it so u can monitor the progress of that chick...

Oh and its ok if the chicks flop around on the ones hatching while they dry off ..Hahhah the flopping and chirping actually encourages the others to hatch
1f604.png

Good luck and hope you have good progress with your chicks......if you have anymore questions fill free to ask ...just tag me and ill answer ...
1f603.png
1f603.png

Last edited:
Day 28 is highly unusual for chickens!

And I have to ask -- you are counting correctly? Day 1 does not start until 24 hours after setting. (I call the first 24 hours "day 0") Kinda like your kid is not a year old until after its first 12 months of life.

Yeah but I would do it super fast ....also try not to turn them too much when you do ...just pick them straight up and turn them slowly to there side and put them down gently on the bottom of thw incubator...I incubate mine in egg cartons and then take them out on day 18
...... Totally safe just be fast and gentle.

If you have one pipped toward the bottom ..put the pip facing where you can see it so u can monitor the progress of that chick...

Oh and its ok if the chicks flop around on the ones hatching while they dry off ..Hahhah the flopping and chirping actually encourages the others to hatch
1f604.png

Good luck and hope you have good progress with your chicks......if you have anymore questions fill free to ask ...just tag me and ill answer ...
1f603.png
1f603.png

Well been monitoring since about 9 there has been no pips and no more chirping. Just finished candling and 21 of my 30 were duds = ( still holding out hope for the last 9! I have laid them all on there sides. So we'll see if there is any activity in the morning, which will be day 24. Thanks for all the help!

Hatching should be day 21. Anything later says your temp is too low and just remind yourself by writing on a piece of masking tape and sticking it to the incubator. Yes, a full degree F you should raise temp next time. Chicks do not do well (hatch rate) if low temp causes them to be due day 24. Chickbuddy100 obviously is running too low of temp for late hatches. Best results is when you straddle day 21. I've adjusted my thermometer reading so chicks start moving in egg day 19, pip day 20 and hatch day 21 to day 22. Best results are in that stage. Raise your temp until you get that kind of result using the same thermometer. My combo temp/RH reads 97 and on cusp of 98 F (jumps back and forth) but that's where I want it to be knowing I'm actually 99.5F.

Hatching should be day 21. Anything later says your temp is too low and just remind yourself by writing on a piece of masking tape and sticking it to the incubator. Yes, a full degree F you should raise temp next time. Chicks do not do well (hatch rate) if low temp causes them to be due day 24. Chickbuddy100 obviously is running too low of temp for late hatches. Best results is when you straddle day 21. I've adjusted my thermometer reading so chicks start moving in egg day 19, pip day 20 and hatch day 21 to day 22. Best results are in that stage. Raise your temp until you get that kind of result using the same thermometer. My combo temp/RH reads 97 and on cusp of 98 F (jumps back and forth) but that's where I want it to be knowing I'm actually 99.5F.

No chicks don't nessecarrely hatch on day 21 it's just an average day it can be later if the chicks want it to be

Well been monitoring since about 9 there has been no pips and no more chirping. Just finished candling and 21 of my 30 were duds = ( still holding out hope for the last 9! I have laid them all on there sides. So we'll see if there is any activity in the morning, which will be day 24. Thanks for all the help![/quot

I hope everything turns out well and hope those hatch ....hope I helped ..

Last edited:
No chicks don't nessecarrely hatch on day 21 it's just an average day it can be later if the chicks want it to be

Yes it can but if your perpetually hatching day 24 then your temperature is too low. Likewise as to perpetually hatching day 19, your temp is too high. Hatch rate increases if you adjust and get it to straddle day 21 because that's how long a chick takes to develop.

Yes it can but if your perpetually hatching day 24 then your temperature is too low.  Likewise as to perpetually hatching day 19, your temp is too high.  Hatch rate increases if you adjust and get it to straddle day 21 because that's how long a chick takes to develop.

Oh thanks for the info
1f603.png

Normally it's best to take them out of cartons on day 18 so when they hatch they don't get stuck in the carton and twist the wrong way and die ...but back to the question...my chicks stop chirping for a little bit and then go back to it...and then pip on the side.... but I would take them out of the carton so they can push the egg shell out from around them ...hope I helped
1f603.png
also it can take up to day 30 for them to hatch out of the egg so don't worry right now ..
1f603.png
1f603.png

I prefer to hatch in cartons. Lockdown in cartons, that is. In a natural setting, eggs gravitate to that fat side up position and they don't roll around like in an incubator. Having them in a carton simulates that. Not perfectly but much closer than rolling around on wire mesh.

My overall hatch rates went up a little bit too. It doesn't hurt them to hatch from a carton. Chicks don't push the eggshell around them off. They zip the top loose and pop that off. That's why the cartons help.

Back
Top Bottom