Day 24 duck incubation questions

kenzie7775

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2017
Hi!

I have been Incubating duck eggs in my home made incubator for 24 full days now. I'm doing this for my high school senior project, and so I'm very new to it all. I started out with 9 eggs... 6 Pekin and 3 Muscovy's, I had some high temperature problems in the first few days of incubation. But I am left with 5 Eggs (2 pekin 3 muscovy) that seem to be Extremely healthy!! Ive been candling them and they all seem to be on track!

Tomorrow is supposed to be the last day of flipping the 2 pekins, and they are supposed to be put into lockdown with high humidity... But I will be opening the incubator to flip the Muscovy eggs.

How will the pekins do with me opening the Incubator 3 times a day? And how will the Muscovy's do with the high humidity?? What should I do??

Currently I flip them all 3 times a day, spray them each time also... I've been keeping the humidity around 40, and temp 99.5 as much as I can.

I think I'm just super nervous because its so close to hatching, and this is all new for me, but I just want my babies to be happy and healthy!
Thank you so much!

Bruising is "usually" an indication that the duckling has broken the inner membrane, but not through the shell, and moisture has gotten between the two membranes. Especially if its in an area beyond the air cell. Many times, those need assistance. Can you get a picture of the bruise?

Normal guidelines say that they should be able to survive on the air cell air for around 24 hours, then do their external pip. But of course, that must depend on the size of the air cell, right? So if the air cells are large, a few more hours probably isn't hazardous to wait. If the air cells were small, then you may consider helping with a safe hole.

Hi!

I have been Incubating duck eggs in my home made incubator for 24 full days now. I'm doing this for my high school senior project, and so I'm very new to it all. I started out with 9 eggs... 6 Pekin and 3 Muscovy's, I had some high temperature problems in the first few days of incubation. But I am left with 5 Eggs (2 pekin 3 muscovy) that seem to be Extremely healthy!! Ive been candling them and they all seem to be on track!

Tomorrow is supposed to be the last day of flipping the 2 pekins, and they are supposed to be put into lockdown with high humidity... But I will be opening the incubator to flip the Muscovy eggs.

How will the pekins do with me opening the Incubator 3 times a day? And how will the Muscovy's do with the high humidity?? What should I do??

Currently I flip them all 3 times a day, spray them each time also... I've been keeping the humidity around 40, and temp 99.5 as much as I can.

I think I'm just super nervous because its so close to hatching, and this is all new for me, but I just want my babies to be happy and healthy!
Thank you so much!
You REALLY should not open the incubator during lockdown. From what I've been told if you open it when they have pipped the membrane while shrink on the duckling and they will die. I do not now from expierience as I have never dared to try while incubating. I really don't now what o say. The eggs need to be turned, but it will likely kill the Pekins if you open it. And another thing is You obviously have to get the humidity up for the pekins, but that might affect the muscovies since they aren't ready for lockdown. Hmmm...

Hi!

Thank you so much!

Hi! And congrats on your project!

Ideally, a separate hatcher would have been best to move the pekins to, but since I assume you don't have that, here's what I'd do.

Have some type of divider to separate the breeds, if you don't already. You don't want the hatching pekins to roll the Muscovy eggs all over the place, and get gunk on them.

Assuming air cells look good and on track for both breeds, I'd stop turning all the eggs, and increase the humidity on day 26, to around 65% Delaying one day won't hurt the pekins and it will give the muscovys one extra day without high humidity. Once the pekins hatch, as I remove them, I would check the muscovys and see how close they look to hatching. Also after those 2-4 days of high humidity, it would need to be decided whether to lower it again for a few days, or just leave it high until they hatch. The closer they look to hatching, the more likely I would just leave it up. Fluctuations can be harmful.

And no, opening the incubator with a pip is not an immediate death sentence!! You don't want to leave it off for long periods of time, but if your incubator recovers humidity quickly, a quick grab of an egg or duckling will not kill the others! I have done it many, many times.

Best of luck, and please give us an update when you can! Looking forward to seeing some cute little duckling soon!

Hi!  And congrats on your project! 

Ideally, a separate hatcher would have been best to move the pekins to, but since I assume you don't have that, here's what I'd do. 

Have some type of divider to separate the breeds, if you don't already.  You don't want the hatching pekins to roll the Muscovy eggs all over the place, and get gunk on them. 

Assuming air cells look good and on track for both breeds, I'd stop turning all the eggs, and increase the humidity on day 26, to around 65%  Delaying one day won't hurt the pekins and it will give the muscovys one extra day without high humidity.  Once the pekins hatch, as I remove them, I would check the muscovys and see how close they look to hatching.  Also after those 2-4 days of high humidity, it would need to be decided whether to lower it again for a few days, or just leave it high until they hatch.  The closer they look to hatching, the more likely I would just leave it up.  Fluctuations can be harmful.

And no, opening the incubator with a pip is not an immediate death sentence!!  You don't want to leave it off for long periods of time, but if your incubator recovers humidity quickly, a quick grab of an egg or duckling will not kill the others!  I have done it many, many times.

Best of luck, and please give us an update when you can!  Looking forward to seeing some cute little duckling soon!    

Thank you thank you so much!
It must be day 26 today and not 25... But oh my gosh I dont think my little eggs are Muscovy's because all three have internally pipped and I can hear them making noise!! The 2 pekins should hatch soon to, but neither of them have internally pipped yet.

What ever breed my duckings are I will love them all the same
2764.png
2764.png

As soon as I found out about them starting to hatch I put the big sponge in the water bowl, and locked it down for good until everyone has come out. My biggest worry is, are they going to be okay?? Are their membranes going to be dry and cause them to suffocate? Also they are hatching so early are they okay?

Thank you thank you for your help

So yesterday two of the three small eggs had infernally piped and the two pekins were going to be going into lock down that night anyways

One egg in particular has been making lots of noise for about 26 hours and their seems to be "bruising" on the outside of the egg... But I don't think he can get out! Is it normal for an internal pip to take this long? Should I do anything?

Thank you for any advice!

Back
Top Bottom