Day 24 opened the air sac ITS MOVING!! *Help**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickadee93, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Chickadee93

Chickadee93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    I thought they were all dead! But I opened this one at the egg sac just in case and its moving slightly oh my goodness what do I do?? Should I help it pip? It looks like its trying!!

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    How many days in is it? Have all the others hatched? If it's overdue and the others have gone, then you could put a little breather hole in the membrane and see what happens.

I'm not a fan of helping beyond that unless it was human error that screwed up the hatching. I've only once hand-hatched a baby, and it was because it had dried out too badly to finish, and the membrane was sticking to it. Nothing wrong with the baby, just the human dummy (me) who let the humidity get too low.

3. Chickadee93

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    None of them hatched :( I was checking if any were still alive before I threw them out and only 2 are moving! One is peeping tho so a lot better than this one which appears to be facing the wrong way.

4. Chickadee93

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    I made a teensy pip...What do I do if it's completely opposite of how its supposed to be?? I shouldn't see its FEET...they haven't been turned since day 18 what happened?

5. SandraB88

SandraB88 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Fingers crossed for you....I'm no help though sorry. :D Hope you get a live baby.

6. Chickadee93

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    None of them made it :(

7. rebelINny

rebelINny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    eastern, Ny
    Sometimes if the egg is very round and not real "egg" shaped the chick can't turn in the egg like its supposed to.

8. Chickadee93

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    They were all normal shaped but the ones I did eggtopsies of were ALL facing the wrong direction except the one that pipped on its own but later died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by