Day 24 Under Broody

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
I have five eggs under my broody. It is day 24 and I wonder if y'all have any experience with a hatch at or beyond day 24.

She has been on them every day sometimes going off for 45 minutes or so in the middle of her setting. She only did that for a couple of days though when it was very hot. Other than that, I may have seen her off for 5 or 10 minutes or not at all.

Anyone had this happen? I am reluctant to give up, but need to do what is best.

Thanks,
Ellie

I have had eggs hatch under a broody at day 25, 26, so hang in there. Have you candled them to make sure they were fertile?

Oh, thanks so much. That takes a load off my mind. My hen is not giving up, so now hearing this, I won't either.

I did not candle, because I wasn't sure what to look for. I figure the hen will hatch them out and those that didn't weren't fertile.
smile.png

Thank you so much once more,
Ellie

It's really hard to candle at this stage. The entire egg will be full of chick. You really have to tilt the aircell toward the light to see anything at all. Hopefully, you will see a beak in the aircell, but if you see just a big blank space, that's not a good thing usually. It may mean the chick has died and is "shrink-wrapped" back away from the end of the egg. I never let mine go more than 22 days because I don't want to encourage late-hatching in my birds, but that's a personal decision you have to make for yourself.

Thanks, Cynthia. I am going to wait only because I am not breeding as you are. I will keep that information for when I get to the "big time" like you and some of the others on here!

I am not picking the eggs up anymore, just touching them lightly with my fingers to see if I feel a pip. I am going to wait until Tuesday evening. Why? Because I am going out of town this week and will have to discard the eggs at that point.

I am watching my hen closely because this is day 29 for her on this nest. I didn't get the eggs until she was broody for 5 days.

Anyone else wait longer than 24 days?

Ellie

don't give up , friend of mine had a broody who hatched just one chick but at about day 26 so let the hen decide there is hope yet !
jumpy.gif

Thanks, Cynthia. She is getting hoarse from clucking in there.

C'mon babies:
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Ellie

Last edited:
Day 25 and I thought she was going to walk off the nest, but she came back so I am going to let her go for two more days. I am going out of town Thursday, so need to end this for her.

I will let her set until Wednesday. Then I will open the eggs and see what is what.

Ellie

Back
Top Bottom