1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 24...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dgkatz, Mar 13, 2009.

1. dgkatz

dgkatz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    Hi, how much longer would you give it? I did verify movement in one at day 20. No pips or anything as of yet

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    well if it was me and i was shre there were no pips or anything I would try to candle or sniff or something but would give them another day

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Are these chicken eggs? I had chicken eggs hatch four days late. Candle them and see if there is any movement.

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I would have said to discard...but you saw movement? Can you see anything anymore?

5. dgkatz

Nov 2, 2008
    I hate to keep candling but I just checked again and there is still movement in there.

6. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Holy Jumpin'! Does anyone know if they risk running out of air sac if they stay too long in shell? Does the air sac completely deplete, or self-generate from air? It must be because my situation is somewhat similar to yours (first hatch, day 23, nothing) that I keep wondering how things are going for you!

Laura

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Maybe your temps and humidity were alittle low and they are taking longer. If you have seen movement just have patience.

8. dgkatz

Nov 2, 2008
    can there be issues with lack of oxygen when the hatch gets delayed like this?

9. peepinglaura

Mar 9, 2009
    dgkatz, do you hear any peeping?

I think they're not using air sac rapidly till they penetrate it and you hear the peep? I really don't know though. I'm learning from your experiences.

Laura

10. peepinglaura

Mar 9, 2009
    I'm assuming in this case that no news is not good news?

Still have fingers crossed.

Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by