Day 25, One Egg Pipped But Not Moving! What Do I Do? *pictues*

baileyvivian

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
This is day 26 and my first egg is pipping. I checked the incubator this morning and there was nothing but now there is. The egg is not moving. What do I do? Is it dead?

Day 26? What happened? I mean if it just started pipping id let it go. It can take 24 hours to hatch from the initial pip. Im more concerned about why this chick is hatching on day 26.

This is my second try at hatching (my first hatch didn't work out) and on day 21 of this try, nothing happened. I candled on day 18 before lock down and all the eggs were alive. I don't know what happened. I decided to leave the eggs in to see if they still would hatch. This was the only egg that did pip but it died. I opened some of the eggs and they stopped growing before they could absorb the yolk sack. Where did I go wrong?

This is my second try at hatching (my first hatch didn't work out) and on day 21 of this try, nothing happened. I candled on day 18 before lock down and all the eggs were alive. I don't know what happened. I decided to leave the eggs in to see if they still would hatch. This was the only egg that did pip but it died. I opened some of the eggs and they stopped growing before they could absorb the yolk sack. Where did I go wrong?

your incubator is off on temp

you seriously need to get it collaborated properly or invest in a high precision thermometer

late hatches are due to low heat

and they either die in shell or hatch weak and most prob die after a day or so of hatch

Stuck Babies

For whatever reason you have a chick stuck in the egg. Late hatch means low heat.

I peal them out all the time. You are the only hope they have in some cases.
Even under a broody hen chicks die from drowning and shrinkwrapping.
In our incubators the same calamities happen and once we see that it is the moment to act get that chick out of the shell.
I've had a goo drown chick next to a normal healthy hatch, and a shrink wrapped next to that one.
You never know when there are different eggs from various hens in the incubator.

In the last 3 years we have hatched about 2,000 chicks that grew up to be beautiful chickens.

Emergency action to save a chick;
Of course, we are talking about saving overdue weaklings that stop hatching normally.
It may not be the baby's fault. I think it must probably never be the baby's fault.
They are born into this world not knowing of such things
The shell was pourous,
too much humidity,
not warm enough...ect

Anyway, if life signs get dimmer.... help it out.

Tools;
Magnifying or reading glasses so you can see tiny details
Tweezers
Small Scissors
Paper Towel
Newspaper to catch the mess

Continue the zipping around the shell carefully. Not the membrane.
Look for blood vessels and avoid them White membrane is good. Lift everything over its head.
If you see any bleeding stop... Put a warm wet tissue on the membrane for 3 hours. Then try again.
Peal the top off the egg as soon as possible because the chick is getting cemented into the egg.
There will be a connecion to the egg including yolk going into the belly.
Carefully trim this yolk and stringy connection off without pulling on the babies belly.
Only remove excess. trim far away from the baby.
It will dry up perfectly as long as you don't hurt the baby.
If parts of the shell or membrane are stuck fast to the baby, do not try to pull them off at this time.
Pop it out of the shell.
I never wash a cemented and pealed chick for several days so it doesn't get chilled.
Get it right under a brooder lamp to dry up.
Check on it every minute.
After an hour of rest you can gently hold it and dip it's beak in water. Repeat water offering at least once an hour.

It will make it!

Spicy

Last edited:
Stuck Babies

For whatever reason you have a chick stuck in the egg. Late hatch means low heat.

I peal them out all the time. You are the only hope they have in some cases.
Even under a broody hen chicks die from drowning and shrinkwrapping.
In our incubators the same calamities happen and once we see that it is the moment to act get that chick out of the shell.
I've had a goo drown chick next to a normal healthy hatch, and a shrink wrapped next to that one.
You never know when there are different eggs from various hens in the incubator.

In the last 3 years we have hatched about 2,000 chicks that grew up to be beautiful chickens.

Emergency action to save a chick;
Of course, we are talking about saving overdue weaklings that stop hatching normally.
It may not be the baby's fault. I think it must probably never be the baby's fault.
They are born into this world not knowing of such things
The shell was pourous,
too much humidity,
not warm enough...ect

Anyway, if life signs get dimmer.... help it out.

Tools;
Magnifying or reading glasses so you can see tiny details
Tweezers
Small Scissors
Paper Towel
Newspaper to catch the mess

Continue the zipping around the shell carefully. Not the membrane.
Look for blood vessels and avoid them White membrane is good. Lift everything over its head.
If you see any bleeding stop... Put a warm wet tissue on the membrane for 3 hours. Then try again.
Peal the top off the egg as soon as possible because the chick is getting cemented into the egg.
There will be a connecion to the egg including yolk going into the belly.
Carefully trim this yolk and stringy connection off without pulling on the babies belly.
Only remove excess. trim far away from the baby.
It will dry up perfectly as long as you don't hurt the baby.
If parts of the shell or membrane are stuck fast to the baby, do not try to pull them off at this time.
Pop it out of the shell.
I never wash a cemented and pealed chick for several days so it doesn't get chilled.
Get it right under a brooder lamp to dry up.
Check on it every minute.
After an hour of rest you can gently hold it and dip it's beak in water. Repeat water offering at least once an hour.

It will make it!

Spicy

with all due respect to your advice

I would go against all you said for a new hatcher

this is experienced stuff as you say you hatched over 3000

and even then in my experience a chick that cant hatch on its own is usually to weak to live anyway

and in my case every chick I have helped

thank god its only been about 5 eggs in all the eggs I been hatching

they have had abnormalities that caused them to not hatch on their own

and would have been better to leave then to have to cull afterwards or let die slowly

i wouldnt think you would trim away the egg yolk either that is absorbed into the chick for it to live on for its first few days after hatching

Back
Top Bottom