day 26! I have live chicks in eggs how long do I let this go on?

I would let them be...I have "late hatches" all the time. I usually always wait an extra three days just to be sure that all the chicks have had a chance to hatch. Funny story...about a month ago I had two broody seramas hatching sitting on eggs. Well, day 21 had come and gone and three days later I only had two chicks out of 18 eggs! I gave it another day or so and then it started to become a problem b/c the Mamas were trying to teach the chicks to eat and drink and all the while tend to these "what I thought to be dudd eggs"...so as I was out doing my chickie chores...I went ahead and removed all of the eggs and this way the Mama's could focus on the chicks and forget about these eggs. Well, I put the eggs in a basket and continued doing my chores. Later, I was in the kitchen and for whatever reason I hadn't tossed the eggs yet...As I was in the kitchen I heard a very loud CHEAP!
jumpy.gif
I freaked out!!!
ya.gif
none of the eggs showed any signs of pipping or anything! I quickly plugged in my bator and stuck the eggs in there and one after another after another...14 new baby seramas hatched!!!
jumpy.gif
It was amazing! And to think they were minutes away from being chucked in the trash!
hide.gif
my 6 yr. old son declared at that point that I was the "Worst Chicken Farmer Ever"!!!!
th.gif
Moral of the story is that the "3 day rule is out the window"...I have no idea how long you should wait after day 21!!!
idunno.gif
But I do know one thing those little mama hens had not given up on those eggs yet! They through a fit when I took them! I think alot can be said about nature, a Mother's intuition, and our idea's of "timing"...

Have a related question here as mine were due to hatch early this week. Several hatched last Saturday, a couple Sunday, then nothing since. Temp was steady within a degree or two the entire 21 days. LG still air - but nothing has happened all week. I got 2 of 12 marans from here that hatched, very disappointing. Even eggs that I bought local that candled good - no shipping - not that great of result. Mixed info about removing chicks or not - some say don't open the incubator no matter what until all are done. If I'd done that I would also have 10 dead chicks in there after this long.

Was hoping to start hatching rather than buying chicks but this is totally a money losing situation. A broody is not any better - Muscovy sitting 10 has lost half of them. Almost $300 in equipment/eggs means these 10 are about $30 each - could buy 150 chicks for that. :-/

I really appreciate the story, and all the helpful info. I feel at least optimistic now that some might make it if I leave them alone. We'll see. Other than topping up the water if I need to I'm just going to ride it out and see what happens. Where there was one there is likely one or two others that are still going in there. I doubt that little one will make it that I "helped out" but I think at least that it stopped me from chucking all the eggs. this way, perhaps some others will have a chance.
Thanks everyone!
I'll keep you posted.

Quote:
I only fool with shipped eggs if it's a breed I just can't find here. I have yet to get a good hatch from shipped eggs.

If you set all the eggs on the same day, and you get some out and then nothing.. then they're likely done. Either the whole batch is late, or it's on time and just not doing well. You might get stragglers a day later, maybe two tops, but that means they're having problems. If you hear nothing from ANY egg and it's getting on towards day 23, then usually they're not coming or they're running late.

I don't open the incubator until 24 hours after the first chick is out and dry to check on everyone else.

My shipped Maran eggs, I got those two girls out of 2 dozen. I have 2 dozen more going I picked up, and I have 16 going strong at day 14. Hoping for better this time since I drove 2 1/2 hours to pick them up! Last time, only 4 of the 24 headed into lockdown. Something like 12 didn't even start. This time, only 5 didn't start at all, and only 3 started and quit. Much better this time. 3 of the 5 that didn't start had poor shells, I wasn't expecting them to do anything after candling and seeing the flaws in them and how porous they were.

I'm pleased with my two $30 pullets.
lol.png
Not pleased with my poorly colored $40 Golden Lakenvelder. She was a bonus egg, not even what I ordered. Didn't get anything from what I actually ordered!

If I can't sell the chick for at least $10, I don't buy the eggs to start with. I can get "pet" quality or hatchery quality birds all day around here for $2 each. I save the hatching for "special" birds I have to have and cross my fingers for extra to sell.

So far it's been a money pit.
lol.png
But I love my birds!

Back
Top Bottom