Day 26: Keep them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by richsbabycakes, Nov 20, 2012.

1. richsbabycakes

richsbabycakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    I had 8 eggs in the incubator and due to a bulb blowing I ended up with temps at 72 for an unknown length of time. Two eggs have hatched, the smaller ones, one about 38 hours ago and another about 26 hours ago. One egg might be rocking a little but I'm not sure. The others looked good when candled prior to lockdown. I'm not sure if I should candle, float test or sit on my hands. I feel the urge to do something but I know that could cause more harm than good. Opinions?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Candle them and do the float test, just in case. Lower temperatures for too long a period causes the development of the embryos to slow down, so they may still be alive in there.

3. richsbabycakes

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    I had another one pip and she's trying to hatch now! I can't believe three at least have survived.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Good luck! I would leave them undisturbed for at least another 24 hours.

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's wonderful! Hope she hatches o.k. Keep us posted.

6. richsbabycakes

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    #3 hasn't hatched yet but I can see her and she's trying. Unbelievably, #4 and #5 are rocking in their shells. I'm shocked. It's day 27

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] Go chicks!

Don't help them unless it's obvious they need it, O.K? And then help only a bit. I hope they're all 3 going to hatch out fine though! Keep us posted [​IMG]

8. richsbabycakes

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    Thanks everyone. Our third chick hatched late last night. I had to go to bed to keep from helping her. I haven't seen movement in eggs 4 and 5 but I haven't spent a long time watching them either. Hatching really is the most amazing thing to watch. So thankful my kids and I had the opportunity to do this!

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's great! When I hatched chicks I had people come round to watch. It really is amazing to see. I'll never get tired of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by