Day 28 for duck egg and today egg colour has become dark. Advice/confirmation that duckling had died?

Jesso88

Hatching
Oct 18, 2023
Hi everyone,

This is my first time incubating anything. I started with 6 eggs and unfortunately after candling at day 10 there was only 1 viable. I candled at day 21 and I was sure I seen movement. It's just clocked over to day 29 and today the egg has changed to a dark colour and there is no movementor or signs of pipping. After reading many posts I took the chance and have taken the egg out of the incubator through lockdown to candle again. As a first timer I'm only 50% confident that the egg/duck is dead or hasn't continued to develop from a long time ago.

Could someone please provide me some advice/confirmation? :)

Link to videos (not the best videos)

Attachments

• 20231018_191523.jpg
    20231018_191523.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20231018_191327.jpg
    20231018_191327.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hi Jesso,
Welcome to BYC!

Did you try to smell the egg? Because it might very well be rotten.

note: to add video's, upload a video to youtube or similar service and share the link

Hi Jesso,
Welcome to BYC!

Did you try to smell the egg? Because it might very well be rotten.

note: to add video's, upload a video to youtube or similar service and share the link
Hi Stipenvlerk,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I did smell it after reading about the possibility of it being rotten but there was no smell. The smell would be super potent if it were rotten would it?

That's awesome, I will give that a go and share the link. 🙂

The video's are very short. And the big black part is just the little duckling who is filling up the egg. However for 29 days it's not filled far enough. the black spot in the light part worries me a littleHowever give it a little if it's not smelly.

- what kind of incubator do you use?
- what is the temperature?
- How do you check the temperature?
- how is the humidity in your incubator? How do you check?

Back
Top Bottom