Day 28 no movement no pipping?

Twoandhelp

Chirping
Apr 7, 2015
Day 27- I have no movement/pipping/cheeping. Is that ok? I put them on lockdown a day early bc I was counting from the day I started instead of the next day. They've been healthy and moving the whole time and the only time I'm cracking the lid of my incubator is to pour warm water in to keep humidity high.

I've read about people who have perfectly healthy eggs but then they die right before they hatch and so I'm worried. Is this normal for them to be so still and quiet?

Update: day 28. Still no pipping ):<

Last edited:
Day 27- I have no movement/pipping/cheeping. Is that ok? I put them on lockdown a day early bc I was counting from the day I started instead of the next day. They've been healthy and moving the whole time and the only time I'm cracking the lid of my incubator is to pour warm water in to keep humidity high.

I've read about people who have perfectly healthy eggs but then they die right before they hatch and so I'm worried. Is this normal for them to be so still and quiet?

Are they chicken eggs? if so they are probably dead

that's ok! Well it's the end of 28 and still nothing! I gently listened to one with a stethoscope and heard some light tapping but the eggs don't seem to be moving, none are pipping. How long can they take? I'm so invested in these eggs- they have to make it!

that's ok! Well it's the end of 28 and still nothing! I gently listened to one with a stethoscope and heard some light tapping but the eggs don't seem to be moving, none are pipping. How long can they take? I'm so invested in these eggs- they have to make it!
I don't know about ducks, but I did have some chickens hatch 2 days late once. Also, if your temps were a little cool, your hatch could be delayed. Did you calibrate your thermometer?

If you're hearing tapping then they are probably ok. venymae is right, lower temps during incubation will slow them down and delay the hatch. What has your temperature and humidity been set at during incubation? Has the temp been consistent the whole time?

I had one duckling hatch out on day 31 this past Spring. Very odd, but my hypothesis is her side of the incubator was cooler than the other side somehow. 28 days is just a ballpark figure, some hatch earlier and some later. What do you see when you candle? Do they take up the entire space inside the egg and just leave the air cell visible? Can you see any pushing on the air cell at the edges?

I haven't candled but before lockdown I did, and they seemed full and I didn't see any pushin at the air cell then but I'm a noob and wouldn't have noticed. . I put them on lockdown on day 24 (counted the start date as one oops) and today is day 29 and several are tapping but none have pipped. My temperature seems to be right but it is still air so some could have been cooler than others. Also just figured out my hydrometer doesn't work at ALL. My windows have some condensation built up so I'm hoping it's ok but I really don't know. That's part of the reason I haven't candled! I don't know about my humidity!

Ok, if there's condensation on the windows then the humidity should be high enough. And the fact you hear tapping is great, that means they're working. I would just give them some more time. Hopefully you'll see some external pips by tomorrow. :) Keep us posted, ok?

I will! I hear occasional peeping now! I've been googling like crazy and I've seen so many things that can go wrong that I'm just freaking out! Ready for baby ducks. I tried to upload a pic but I don't know how from my phone. I'll try to figure it out so I can show them to yall when they hatch :D

Back
Top Bottom