Day 29 hatching duck eggs but still no pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ashleyerden, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Ashleyerden

Ashleyerden Hatching

Mar 13, 2018
    Some of my eggs are at day 29 and some are at day 30, none have pipped yet out of 10 eggs. I'm wondering if I should open my incubator and try candling or inspecting the eggs? I know that they were fine when I put them on lockdown. I've kept my humidity between 60 and 66%. I have a 48 egg automatic incubator. This is my 1st time hatching. I had chicken eggs in with them and I've already gotten what I'm going to hatch out of those I removed the rest and just left the Ducks.

2. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas
    What kind of ducks?

3. Ashleyerden

Ashleyerden Hatching

Mar 13, 2018
    Rouen and Cayuga

4. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas

5. Ashleyerden

Ashleyerden Hatching

Mar 13, 2018
    There was finally a pip on one egg last night this morning when I checked there was still no more progress. I've been waiting all day and checking with no progress so I decided to help. I went ahead and zipped the egg it's moving in there but it's not peeping at me. I waited a couple hours came back and decided to try to take off some more shell. The membrane is very white and seems pretty dry so I wrapped it with a warm wet washcloth and picked more of the shell away. It peeped at me a little bit and wiggled and it looks like there's a second membrane! I see blood and yellow so I put it back in the incubator on top of my damp washcloth. I'm thinking it might not be ready to come out.

6. Ashleyerden

Ashleyerden Hatching

Mar 13, 2018
    15216854136441173875006.jpg

Sierra rayan likes this.
  7. JudysMuscovy

JudysMuscovy Songster

Dec 26, 2015
    Texas
    They can take up to 3 days to hatch from external pip I would not mess with it and let it hatch on it's own - the yellow means the yolk has not absorbed and if you mess with that it will die

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: