Day 30 and no sign of duck hatchlings. What's wrong??

Stratham zoo

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 19, 2013
My daughter and I acquired 4 Indian Runner eggs 30 days ago. This is our first experience with this. . I'm pretty handy so I made them a nice incubator and the conditions were good and I followed the protocol well except for the humidity being too high for quite a while before I realized it was wrong. We candled weekly and saw amazing movement. Changed things up to lockdown conditions on day 26 ( Friday) and haven't had anything happen since! and I can't see any movement when I candle them now. Nothing in the air sac either. Today was day 30. We're growing unhopeful and sad. What's wrong??:(

Oh and I just did the float test. 2 floated low and actually moved a little bit and 2 sank. Now the 2 that sank didn't sink like a rock. They seemed to have tad of buoyancy. And I swear they moved a tiny bit. Is this just wishful "viewing"?

Have you checked in on the Thread Formerly Known as Hatch Day Is Today? I am not a hatcher, but you may find help there.

And Welcome to the Duck Forum.

smile.png

First I counted the set day as day one so after recalculating today is actually day 31. I floated them again tonight. 2 sinkers( which sank 2 nights ago too but I swear had movement) And 2 floaters. One of which wiggled a tiny bit. I have this urged to help them out but know that's the wrong thing to do. I just feel like that one needs to get out and can't for some reason. What do I do??????? Oh and when I say sinkers I mean they sink but not 100 percent. They float slightly above the bottom. They are Indian runners and I did read they can take a little while longer but I've read so such I don't know what to believe. Also one of the sinkers has a slight yellow patch on the outside of the shell. HELP?!?!

I understand that lockdown means they stay in the incubator, where the humidity and temperature are very important the last several days. I have read that the ducklings can get shrink-wrapped if they are taken out of the humid environment. In that case, help may be needed if it is not too late.

See if this helps

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...days-ago-but-no-external-pip-yet#post_8686492

As I wrote, I am not a hatcher, I have seen some threads about it.

First I counted the set day as day one so after recalculating today is actually day 31. I floated them again tonight. 2 sinkers( which sank 2 nights ago too but I swear had movement) And 2 floaters. One of which wiggled a tiny bit. I have this urged to help them out but know that's the wrong thing to do. I just feel like that one needs to get out and can't for some reason. What do I do??????? Oh and when I say sinkers I mean they sink but not 100 percent. They float slightly above the bottom. They are Indian runners and I did read they can take a little while longer but I've read so such I don't know what to believe. Also one of the sinkers has a slight yellow patch on the outside of the shell. HELP?!?!

The yellow patch is not a good sign for that egg. It may be a quitter.

Do you see movement in the air cell when you candle the eggs? Do you hear any chirping or clicking coming from inside the egg? These would be good signs.

If you hear chirping or clicking, or you see movement or a shadow in the air cell, then you have some options for helping. At that point you could carefully pip a small hole through the shell into the air cell. This would hopefully help with lung development and you could see if the internal membranes are still moist and pliable or dried and tough. If the are dried and tough, you would have a shrink-wrap situation where more help could be needed.

Thanks so much for your reply:) I candled and floated last night. No pips in the air cell:( but when I float them 2 low float and move a tiny bit. This is why I think they are shrink wrapped. So my question at this point is can I assist if they haven't pipped the air sac?? And yes the one with yellow patch is one of the sinkers. But when I say sinker I mean they sink to the bottom with a little bit of buoyancy. Interestingly enough 2 nights ago these 2 sinkers moved! But not last night. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom