Day 7 Candling question

FridgidRoo

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 11, 2014
Miles City, MT
I am a first timer with our incubator and hatching eggs and have a question. When we candled tonight we saw several eggs with a dark spot with vessels spider webbing from them. My question is on the ones we couldn't see this we had several where the dark area got significantly bigger. Does this indicate a growing embryo? We had about 9 out of 35 that were unchanged and I assume are not fertile.

It was interesting to see the rate of bad eggs in the great packaged eggs versus the okay packaged eggs. Most of our eggs are amerucuana but we put a few of our own fertile eggs in as well, Thanks for any replies.

If you see anything other than a clear looking egg then it's an embryo. It takes super flashlights to see well into some eggs. I usually wait for day 10 and toss any completely clear ones then check the air cell growth in egg again at day 14 for any humidity adjustments.

For Christmas I was gifted a 500 lumen led flashlight, they're actually not that much and can be picked up at walmart, I can't wait to use it for candling this year to see all the detail.

This link is a day by day progression of egg candling:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

Oh and here is an image of what an ideal egg air cell should look like to monitor if humidity needs adjustment. It's not exacting but a good reference and if you find yours too large or small by a large margin then tweak your humidity by 5 or 10 percent up or down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom